Run to Daddy { preference }

Luke

If you had asked eighteen year old Luke Hemmings what his favorite thing in the world was, it wouldn’t take but a second for him to respond, “Touring!” But fast forward to now, and if you asked Luke Hemmings what his favorite thing in the world was, he wouldn’t even blink before answering “My family!” So when you took these two things and put them together, Luke Hemmings was the happiest man alive.

Here they were, somewhere in the United States on tour, and all the families came out to visit. So that meant that backstage, the moms were corralling five year old Jake, three year old twins Hannah and Isaac, and two year old Kayla while also caring for newborn Nebraska. That being said, it was a very difficult job, simply because four of the five children were mobile and had tons of energy. So as hard as the four women tried, there was probably no way for them to prevent what happened that night.

Hide and seek had seemed like an innocent enough game, especially considering the fact that there were so many places to hide backstage. The moms were smart enough to restrict the playing field though so they didn’t have four children spread out all over the backstage area. As they counted and let the kids run off to hide, Jake pulled Kayla along with him, the five year old in charge of watching the youngest toddler. “Where do you wanna hide, Kayla?” he asked, holding her hand.

“Boxes!” she replied, pointing to the giant stack of boxes in which the boys stored all their musical equipment. Jake nodded and led her over, squeezing between two of the large boxes and crouching down with Kayla behind him.

“Now we have to be quiet, okay?” he asked, turning to see her, then gasped as he realized she had disappeared. “Kayla?” Now, keep in mind that Kayla was a devious child, taking after all her uncles and her father. So after Jake had stepped into the boxes she had taken off running in the direction of all the music and screaming, intent on just watching her daddy and uncles play their show. She soon found herself at the edge of the stage and stood in awe as she watched them play “Long Way Home”. Calum was closest to her, jumping around as he plucked the strings of the bass, Ashton was rocking out on the drums, and she saw her Dad in front stage, holding the mic stand in his hands as he sang, his guitar hanging loosely off his body.

Kayla grinned and watched happily, but turned when she heard her name being called. She could see Jake coming, and she panicked, not wanting to get in trouble. So she ran to the one person she knew wouldn’t be mad to see her – her daddy. She jetted out onto the stage, running right behind Calum. The dark haired man didn’t notice, and before Ashton could say anything, Kayla had hugged tight to her dad’s leg, causing his voice to jump and him lose his place as he looked down at his daughter, who was burying her face in his knees. Calum took over the song as Luke removed his in-ears and crouched down, trying to figure out just what was going on. Trying to hear his daughter was no use though, so he just picked her up and settled her on his hip as he returned to the microphone to finish out the song.

When it was finally over and the noise had died down a little bit, Michael leaned into the mic. “And here we have a special appearance by the beautiful Kayla Bug,” he grinned. Kayla looked over at him and smiled shyly before hiding in her dad’s shoulder again – something she had done from the moment she realized just how many people were out in the crowd. The banter continued for just a little longer before Luke strode off the stage and handed Kayla back to you, who sighed and apologized.

“It’s cool,” he grinned, kissing you both. “All part of the fun.”

Ashton

Being the first dad in the band was sometimes quite stressful. Because he was the one to learn how to deal with being away on tour, missing the baby, and handling the baby when said baby was at their show. Shortly after Jake’s second birthday, you had been asked away for a business trip, so Ashton agreed to stay home with Jake. However, the night before you left, Ashton got a call from their agent, saying that 5 Seconds of Summer had been booked for a local gig and needed to perform. Ashton convinced you that it was okay, he could find a babysitter, and for you to still go on the trip.