Bedtime { preference }

Ashton

Going to bed was never easy in the Irwin household, especially since you had just given birth to your third little girl a month ago. Luckily, you had Ashton there to help with all three of the trouble makers. “Okay, one down. Two to go.” Ashton whispered as he closed the door to your sleeping one year old daughter’s room. “Good luck with her.” You smiled, mentioning your four year old daughter, who was watching Cinderella in the living room. Ashton giggled, looking down at you feeding the half-asleep baby. “Good luck with her.” Ashton said, mentioning your baby girl. “Thanks for putting the crazy girl to sleep, by the way. You’re an excellent dad, you know.” You smiled up at him. “It’s no problem, but dear, you don’t have to thank me. She’s my daughter too.” Ashton whispered, sitting down beside you. “I know, I just want to make sure you always know how great you are.” You smirked, handing him an empty milk bottle, telling him to go clean it. As he got up to do that, you walked into the living room. “Is your movie almost over?” You quietly asked your eldest daughter. “Almost..why? I don’t want to go to bed.” Your daughter said, yawning. “I know you don’t, but when you do, daddy will take you to bed okay?” You offered, knowing that she preferred Ashton over you any day. After an hour or so passed and the movie was finished, you heard your daughter tip toe into your room. “Ready for bed, kiddo?” Ashton asked, climbing out of bed as she nodded silently. Ashton hiked up his loose sweatpants and scratched his scruffy cheek as he slowly walked over to the doorway, where your daughter was. “Say goodnight to mummy and your baby sister.” Ashton said, looking back towards you and the baby. “Goodnight mummy. Goodnight sister.” She whispered, as Ashton guided her to her room, down the hall. He managed to work some magic and she was asleep within fifteen minutes. “Oh, you’re good.” You smiled, as he walked back over and climbed into bed beside you. “I know. You can go to bed if you want, I’ll watch the little one.” He offered, rubbing his eyes. “That’s okay, babe. You sleep. You look tired.” You smiled, adoring his cute tired face. Within minutes, he was passed out in a deep sleep, just like all of his girls.

Calum

Calum was never a fan of bedtime because it always involved a screaming two year old boy of his, and he hated when his boy cried. “Listen bud, you have to stop crying when mummy puts you to bed okay? We don’t like when you cry, you should be happy! We can play tomorrow, when you wake up, okay? Just please stop crying.” Calum said, holding your son against his body, your son’s arms around Calum’s neck. “The bed is all ready for you little man.” You said, tickling your sons small feet that were dangling in the air. Calum tried passing your son over to your arms, but he wouldn’t budge. “Someone’s a daddy’s boy.” You smiled at Calum. “I can put him to bed, don’t worry. Go have a cup of tea or something.” Calum suggested, taking your son into his room. You did indeed make yourself some tea, but you couldn’t help but stand outside of your sons room, listening to Calum talk to him. “Hey, it’s okay. You’re okay right? Daddy’s right here, you can wipe away your tears.” Calum cooed, wiping away already dried tears on your sons cheek. “No, buddy. We can’t play toys right now, it’s bedtime. Remember?” You heard Calum say, also hearing him put a toy car back in the toy bin. You heard a small cry, which you knew was coming from your small boy. “Cal?” You knocked softly, opening the door. “Hi, dear. It’s okay. He just wants to play all night long.” Calum smiled, slightly. “You have to listen to daddy, remember the rules?” You said, as your son started to stop crying. “That’s my boy. Ready for bed now?” Calum asked, pulling the blanket down the bed a little. “Play toys tomorrow?” Your son sniffled. “We’ll play toys tomorrow, yes. Goodnight, little man. Mummy and I love you so much. Sweet dreams.” Calum said, planting a small kiss on the little boy’s forehead, and you did the same right after. “Night.” You said, turning the light off and closing the door behind you. “Good job, mummy.” Calum smiled. “And good job to you, daddy.” You said, high-fiving him.