Chapter 26: Oblivious

I didn't get a chance to see Wesley the next day. Noah seemed to be in quite the rush to get going, for what reason I don't know. What I do know, though, is that I woke up this morning to find my bag already packed up. I barely managed to get a foot outside the bedroom door before Noah threw me a clean pair of clothes and told me to quickly get dressed.

I tried to find Wesley as Noah practically dragged me down the stairs and out the door, but he was nowhere to be seen. I'd hoped we'd continue the conversation from yesterday, but when I frantically searched around the house with my gaze, I realized that it was empty. I couldn't even spot Noah's parents in the kitchen as we rushed past it. When Noah opened the front door, however, I realized why. The sun was barely up, meaning that everyone was probably sleeping. Well, except for me and Noah, I suppose. The cold wind feels like a blow in my face as soon as we step outside, and I instinctively wrap my jacket tighter around my body as we walk towards his car.

"Here", Noah says as I'm about to slip into the passenger seat, and I slowly look at his outstretched hand and take the sandwich and bottle of water he's holding out. I don't bother saying a word and simply place them in my lap. I'm still far too drowsy to think clearly anyway, which is shown quite clearly as I don't even bother questioning Noah's weird behavior. Instead, I rest my head against the window, and let the soft spinning of the car lull me back to sleep.

The next time I wake up, we're on the highway, and I read one of the signs and figure there's about an hour left until we're back at campus.

"Good morning, beautiful", Noah says with a smile as he glances my way.

"Mhm", I softly mumble before I roll down the window and let the breeze wash the last trace of sleep off of me.

When I feel slightly more energetic, I turn towards Noah to get some answers.

"Why did we leave so early?"

Noah keeps his eyes trained on the road and shrugs. "Because I didn't want to waste the whole day there."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "So you decided that we'd better get up before the sun rises?"

He shrugs again, clearly not taking any interest in my curiosity. "It's less traffic then", he simply states. I take the hint and realize that he won't give me any answers, at least not right now. Sighing, I reach for my phone in my front pocket, hoping that it'll entertain me for the rest of the ride back home.

"You haven't eaten yet", Noah remarks as he realizes that I'm planning on catching up on some tv-shows on my phone.

"I'm not hungry", I say without even glancing at the food. The sandwich is still on my lap, but the bottle of water has fallen down the seat. I don't bother picking it up, I hate drinking water in the morning anyways.

"It doesn't matter, you still have to eat."

I glare at him, hoping he'll realize I don't appreciate his tone.

"I'll just eat when we're back at campus", I reply as I try to not let my anger show.

"Linnea", he sighs, and I can literally hear the irritation in his voice, "please. Eat the damn sandwich."

"Fine", I say in frustration and put my phone down. "On one condition."

"What?" he snarls. I try not to be affected by his hostility.

"Tell me the real reason to why we left so early." I cross my arms in front of my chest to show him that I mean business, and when he realizes that I won't budge, he curses loudly.

"My grandparents were coming to visit", he mutters, clearly not happy with me bargaining with him.

"Why is that such a big deal?" I question. "It sounds nice. I'd love to meet them." Okay, maybe I'm overplaying it a little, but I'm sure they're lovely people.