Chapter 2: Invitation

"I think I'm in heaven", Tamara gasps as we walk on some random path on the campus. At first, I have no clue about the words that just left her mouth but as I follow her dreaming gaze, I chuckle and instantly understand.

In a swift motion, Tamara has pulled me behind a house corner we just passed and she holds her hand on my shoulder in an almost painfully hard grip.

"Do I look alright?" she asks me, her fingers pulling at her hair and clothes as if she would notice any non-existing flaws.

"You look great", I tell her before peeking around the corner to the reason behind Tamara's abrupt stop.

"Besides", I add, "I don't think they'll notice us at all. They are probably too busy anyway."

"Hmpf. You never know." Tamara crosses her arms in front of her chest before walking back onto the path again, her slim fingers grabbing onto my wrist.

"Let's sit down here", she says, or more like commands, and nudge her head in the direction of a green spot of grass beside the basketball field where the guys who caught her attention are currently playing.

"Seriously?" I whine as she pulls me along. "It's just gonna get awkward."

"No, it won't", she says with determination as a smile creeps onto her plump lips.

"Yeah, sure it won't", I say with my voice dripping with sarcasm, "because sitting right beside a bunch of shirtless guys when there's a bench barely twenty meters away won't be suspicious at all."

She shakes her head at my argument, clearly not caring about what the guys will think, and I defeatedly sigh as I sit down on the green spot and lean my back on my elbows, shutting my eyes for a moment and enjoying the warm sun on my pale skin. A tan wouldn't hurt but maybe that would be pressing my luck to the extreme. I will probably end up being red as a tomato everywhere, if anything at all, and I'm already feeling bad for my roommate who would have to deal with me whining about it all of the time if that even would happen.

I find myself enjoying the game but unlike Tamara, my main focus isn't laid on the guys' sweaty abdomen or biceps but on the game itself.

I groan as one of the shirtless guys make a huge mistake and pass the ball to his friend instead of going for the goal himself. Apparently, I'm not very discreet because Tamara seems to notice my reaction.

"I thought you said it would be awkward. Aren't you making it worse by staring and practically yelling at them?" she chuckles and I feel my cheeks heat up.

"Maybe", I say, "but he made such a silly mistake. He could've gone for the shoot himself instead of passing the ball over. It was just unnecessary and besides, if he didn't score he would still have a chance to get two free throws, which also would benefit the team.

"Wow", Tamara smiles and nudge my shoulder, "you surely know your stuff, don't you?"

"Yeah, don't she", an unfamiliar voice suddenly says and both Tamara and I jump in surprise before we turn our heads in the direction of the source of the new voice.

A guy, shirtless for the record, is staring down at us, blocking the sun from my body which is craving its warmth and light.

I immediately recognize him as the guy I just complained about and the realization increases the redness on my cheeks and face.

I lean slightly to my left in order to see behind his body and see the whole teams looking at us, bottles of water in their hands.

Seems like I had to open my mouth just in time for their water break.