Chapter 12: Stuck

"I'm sorry, Miss Berglund, but it seems like all the other rooms are full at the moment. There's nothing I can do to reassign your new roommate, or you for that matter, to a different room." Ms. Green, the one being responsible for the room placements, flashes me a sad smile as I let the information sink in.

"All of them?" I say in disbelief as my heart drop down my stomach, a hint of desperation evident in my voice. "There's not even one room where you can fit another student?"

Ms. Green slowly shake her head and put a strand of her chestnut hair behind her ear."I'm sorry, miss Berglund."

"It's fine..." I mumble, my thoughts moving elsewhere.

What am I supposed to do now?

Why can't there be one single room left?

Why-

"Are you alright?" Ms. Green suddenly asks, pulling me back to reality. Her eyebrows are wrinkled in concern and I do my best to force a smile into my strained lips.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

Her wrinkles stay in their place on her forehead. "I know it must all be a little strange, living with Mr. Parker from now on, but it was our last solution. There was some misunderstanding from the school's side regarding his dorm room, they ended up being four instead of two, and he was kind enough to move. We had a long talk with Mr. Parker two days ago, discussing whether or not it would be suitable for you two to share a room, and when it came to our knowledge that you two were friends, it made the decision so much easier."

I swallow the words of protest I so desperately want to utter as she finishes speaking. I force the words down my dry throat and take a deep breath, making sure there's no way they'll escape through my lips anyway. Noah's warning, threat, reminds me about not raising any suspicions.

"I guess I'm just not sure if I'm ready for a new roommate after what happened to my last one", I lie. I'd do anything for sharing a room with Tamara but I've already asked and I'm not allowed to change 'just like that'.

Ms. Green's gray eyes soften. "I'm sorry, honey. I wish there was something I could do."

"It's fine", I repeat yet again, trying my best to keep my head up high, "just... will you just let me know when there's a new room free?"

She smiles widely. "Of course."

I nod and thank her for the help, although she couldn't do anything, and quickly hurry out of the office.

I try my best not to freak out as I walk with rushed steps over the campus before I stop dead in my tracks.

Where should I go? At this moment, I just want to get away from everyone and clear my head but I just realized I can't go back to my room. Not if there's the slightest chance that he still is there.

I still have another hour until class starts but I'm not really in the mood for food, although I haven't had breakfast.

Thinking over my options, I decide to head to the campus café. Maybe I won't be completely alone there, but hopefully, there's an unoccupied booth where I can hide for as long as possible.

Luckily for me, Jason isn't working when I step inside of the café and to say that I'm relieved is an understatement. I'm really not in the mood for him right now. In fact, I'm not really in the mood for anything right now, except for coffee.

After I get my order, I slip into an empty booth in the far back and just let my thoughts take over for a while.

What am I going to do?