24. ___

One Tower, Sheikh Zayed Road

She sensed his frustration as she watched him on her phone screen as he paced around his hotel suite, half naked and ready to hit the shower, purposefully making himself delectable. It was the following night and Wolff was staying in a boutique hotel, a few buildings away from One Tower.

She'd just arrived from a Mumbai turnaround flight a few hours ago and called him to say she would not spend the night with him.

"I'm dead tired. Can I take a rain check tonight?" she asked over the phone as she threw herself on her queen-size bed.

"Honestly, if you hadn't had a tiring day, I'd think you're still trying to avoid me," he quipped.

This was the third time she refused him. He felt that this was all deliberate. Or maybe he was just too impatient.

What did you do today?" she asked, half-focused on the conversation. The fact that Wolff still looked like a demigod even after he sneezed like an ogre was beyond her. He confessed air-conditioning gave him allergies.

"Drew and the girls invited me to lunch. Then I had dinner and a few drinks with Malcolm and his friends at a sports bar," he said while stripping the rest of his clothes off.

"Oh, that's really nice of them. How were they?" she looked away as her body began to steam up.

"I really enjoyed their company and learned a little about the city."

She loved that they had got to know her new beau. The thought of her friends grilling him made her chuckle.

"I was hoping to spend my last night in Dubai with my girlfriend. But now I find out that's not going to happen," he hinted, making her want to bare her whole body to him already.

She wanted to spend the night with him so badly, but it was important for her to control her carnal cravings and focus on building a relationship first. She'd already stumbled last night.

 She'd already stumbled last night

"I have to go back to Geneva ASAP. I promise to come see you as soon as I iron out a few things."

"Are you upset?"

"Of course, I am, but no worries. Did Drew come to talk to you already?" he was stressed all of a sudden.

"No. Why?"

"Nothing. I was just curious. Hitting the shower now. I'll call you tomorrow before I leave."

Wolff had to put the phone down already to take that much-needed shower. The misery of not seeing her tonight was excruciatingly painful.

 The misery of not seeing her tonight was excruciatingly painful