AFTER GENEVA | 13. Abu Dhabi أَبُو ظَبْيٍ

Yas Marina Circuit, Ferrari World
Two Days Later, In February

The loud engines and screeching tires reminded him so much of his childhood. His parents and their friends would go on holidays to the French Riviera and take a side trip to the rich city state to attend the prestigious Monaco F1 Grand Prix.

Too young to care for these things, he only remembered falling asleep in his father's arms despite the deafening noise. After all these years, the loud sounds of race cars still soothed him like a lullaby.

Eric gave out an exhale, trying to grasp the pure brilliance of how an endless stretch of desert had turned into an extravagant tourist destination in such a short time.

Shitloads of oil.

And now, the city raked billions in tourism alone. That is why he came over here; to meet with rich Emiratis and Qataris to invest their money in the banks of Switzerland. There wasn't much convincing to do as his presence and expertise were the only thing needed. After all, they have always known the Swiss knew a thing or two about keeping the wealth of the world's richest.

The work set out for him in the Gulf wasn't much of a challenge, as Westerners direct and run most companies while the locals sit in gold.

Strong traces of the Orient were much present, which he appreciated the most. There is an enormous population of Asians from the East, South and Southeast that has since been the backbone of the country. Without them, the young nation would not have built a single road or structure.

Everyone in the United Arab Emirates had a story to tell where most of the working masses were expatriates. If not for the lack of greenery, this was a nice place. The trees, the grass, the flowering plants aren't indigenous in the land, yet because of oil money, they can nourish them, add rows and rows of them in malls and roadsides.

At first, when his company designated him to spend six months building clients in the Middle East during winter, he was more than ecstatic to try something new. He welcomed the scorching heat with enthusiasm and built rapport with many of the staff. His distaste began when he longed for the outdoors. They were usually stuck inside air-conditioned offices and establishments. This was his life for a month. Usually around autumn, he would do some snow sports with Wolff and the rest of the gang. But this season, he missed it.

So when Malcolm invited him to check out an F1 race, he showed up even after a night of drinking with them at the Irish Village. After months of struggling to accept Dubai and the Middle East as his temporary home, he was finally seeing the good side of things. If not for the unexpected acquaintance with Malcolm, everything around him seemed so fake, meeting some even thicker than plastic.

With a brand new perspective, he looked around him; the sun was pleasant, the climate at its optimum state in the desert capital, which pushed everyone out to enjoy the day.

Frenchman Pierre Le Blanc was leading on the 14th lap when his eyes narrowed towards a woman smiling at him in the crowd. With a surprised sparkle in his eyes, he beamed at the only girl occupying his mind for the past few days.

She's doing it again.

Veronica Ramos, in all her crowning glory, her long, black hair and beautiful visage stood out amongst a swarm of people. He managed a wave even after being squished.

When she gestured for him to meet him on the side, he squeezed his way out of a row of people while she wormed her way towards the aisle to meet him halfway.

"Hey," she said, her blue-green eyes so genuinely excited to see him, the deafening sounds of the cars and the loud voice of the commentator overpowering her voice.