Chapter 30

ARABELLA

I dive to the right as she comes at me with a knife. I have been battling nonstop since I was brought here. I tried to avoid killing them, but they never stopped coming. At this point it's either kill or be killed. I've managed not to use my power and every time I manage to win without it I flip off the guy with no name. I cringe as the knife embeds in my side. What the hell? I dodged that. She throws another. I watch it as I dodge to the right, but the knife changes course and follows me. Great. I keep running in a serpentine pattern. What am I supposed to do with a knife that follows me.

I suddenly turn around and move towards the girl. Just before she can get out of the way I grab her and use her like a shield. I don't think she saw it coming and her knife embeds itself in her chest along with a couple more I hadn't noticed were following me.

"I'm sorry." I whisper as she slumps to the ground. I turn and flip him off before pulling the knife out of my side and the stadium erupts in a roar of approval. I want more than anything to sit on the ground, but I can't show any weakness as my next opponent steps into the arena.

---

I jump awake and wipe the cold water off my face.

"Get up, it's your turn." What? I don't remember leaving the arena. When I don't move fast enough he pulls me up my my hair.

"Geez I'm moving." He shoves me forward anyway, and roughly pushes me all the way to the waiting room. I turn to shoot him a glare. He gives me a smug smile knowing I can't do anything about it. I take one of the few empty seats in the small room as another girl gets up and is lead into the opening of the arena.

"They're really putting you through the ringer." I glance up at the guy sitting across from me. He's the same one that warned me not to tell the girl what I could do. "What did you do to piss them off...if you just use your power they'll probably give you longer breaks." Somehow I doubt that. If I had to guess I'd say he's trying to push me past my limits to see if I can do anything else.

"Maybe." I say as I watch them carry the poor girls body back through the room. If I just give in I could be done with all of this. The guy is making my friends watch, but I can't bear to look at them. Not after all I've done. They must think I'm a monster. I can't give in until they're out. I haven't had much time or energy to plan though. They're keeping me so exhausted I lost track of how many days I've been in here, fighting.

My mind wonders to Theo. I wonder if he's found me. Even if he has there's no way he could get me out. Too many vampires in here. They call my name and I head out into the arena again.

THEO

"This plan is crazy." Alexander says as more and more of us gather outside of the fortress. I shake him off and move to stand next to Vlad who's telling the new arrivals the plan. "Theo." He says again.

"Is it crazier than her plan to save me?" I ask. He seems surprised that I actually answered him. He's been pestering me about this for the past couple hours.

"Yes!" I turn away and make my way to the over look. "For one you're asking to start a war."

"We're already in a war or did you think we were playing a game." He sighs. "He all but invited us to come here."

"That's the problem. You want to attack someone that knows we're coming. We don't even have the element of surprise." He says waving his arms around like that will make what he's saying to me get through.

"You look crazy when you do that." He opens his mouth to say something, but instead turns on his heels and walks away. I know what I'm doing. I know it's dangerous. Hell, I offered to go in alone, but Vlad wouldn't let me. I was tied down for a week so they knew I wouldn't sneak off and go alone anyway. We've already wasted too much time. Who knows what they're doing to her in there. I growl when I see Gavin is already sitting on the hill.