Chapter 18

ARABELLA

"Where do you think the others are?" I ask as Theo and I lie in bed. Joey was outside patrolling the area. After what happened last time we couldn't afford not to. He sighs and turns to face me.

"Well all the people in our building have a protocol for something like this...those who were not reassigned, like I was, are supposed to go to a safe house. A lot of places like that have some sort of safe house." I guess that makes sense.

"Is that where we're going?"

"Yes. We need to get more people together. Then we need to find out who's behind all of this." I sit up and rest my weight on my elbow. He makes it sound so simple.

"You don't think that guy was their leader?" How could he not be? He had so many people following his orders.

"No, someone else is pulling the strings." He lays on his back staring at the ceiling. This is the second time we've been alone since we escaped. Well at least as alone as we can get. I move closer to him and lay my head on his chest. This has all gotten so complicated. Now that I'm a vampire why can't we just be together without all this baggage. It took a lot to get us where we are now.

"Theo?" He hums in response. A thought has occurred to me and I almost feel embarrassed to even want to mention it. "This might be the only time in awhile that we'll be together..." His whole body stills.

"We won't be separated. I won't let that happen." He says sitting up forcing me to sit up and look at him.

"I don't mean like that...I mean alone." He's still looks confused. Come on Theo. I lean towards him and bush my lips against his. He hesitates only a moment before gently pushing me down onto the bed.
---

For a week now we have been on the move. Theo is the only one that knows where the safe house is but he won't tell me. He thinks it's better that only one of us knows in case we get captured. They can't torture the info out of me because I won't have any information to give. Theo also says it is unlikely that they attacked the old apartment building. They were more focused on taking out the leadership, but now that that's over they will be focusing their attention on keeping the power they've just gained.

We stop for gas and then continue driving for the rest of the day. I end up dozing off in the passenger seat. When I do wake up the car is stopped. I look to Theo but he isn't there. I glance in the back and relax when I see Joey.

"Are we there?"

"I think so. Theo went to make sure the coast in clear and that this place hasn't been found." A few moments later my door opens. I glance over to see all of my friends waving for me to get out of the car so they could hug me. I smile they're all here. I step out and Peter is the first to get to me. I want to hug him back, but I remember I haven't been around humans since I changed so I awkwardly leave my arms at my side. When Peter steps back his eyes widen in surprise.

"You..." He can't seem to finish the sentence. I had almost forgotten that my eyes are red now. That must have been what gave it away.

"We heard that the house you were in got attacked! We didn't know if.." Valentina says engulfing me in a hug.

"You've got a lot of friends." Joey says stepping out of the car and stretching. "We shouldn't linger out here." I nod and we all follow him up to the tall building. It is nothing like the apartments we were in. There was only one floor and it was lined with cots. I guess safety comes before comfort. I think as we walk through the doors. Inside Joey goes off to find Theo while Valentina leads me over to the corner with the others in tow.

"So what happened?" She asks gesturing to me. I can feel everyone's eyes on me. I can't help but feel guilty for changing. I shouldn't, but I do. I mean I'm not happy with the way it happened but this way I can help Theo and it did bring us closer together.