Chapter 13

ARABELLA

The next few weeks are crazy. I haven't seen much of Theo since we arrived. The rogue vampires keep trying to break in, but they've failed every time. The way things look it just seems inevitable. Sooner or later they will break in. Then what will we do? I'm sitting in the main room with Theo, a guy named Joey, and John who's the council member they're protecting. We're waiting on word from the other council members. They thought it would be a better strategy to separate them all. This way if the rogues get in they can't kill them all at once, but doing things this way feels like they're picking them off one by one.

A younger man walks into the room. I sit up straighter. This is what we've been waiting for.

"What's the news?" John asks. The young man bows before speaking.

"Five council members are dead...I've come from the sixth one to tell you they are under attack." No. They can't win. They're the bad guys. Aren't they always supposed to lose?

"How does it look?"

"It looks like we will lose. I barely made it out with my life. They'll be headed here soon if they aren't already." The young man bows again before leaving. John sighs.

"They have already been testing our man power." Theo says. "Is there anyone else you can bring to protect you?"

"I'm afraid not. There were more of them than we could have imagined. They've been recruiting this whole time." If they have no more guards and those rogue vampires attack we're screwed. It already worries me every time Theo has to go out and thwart another attack. He doesn't show it often but he's tired. Joey tried to reassure me. I guess Theo is some kind of bad ass in his profession, but I don't know that side of him.

"They'll strike soon." Joey states. John nods and waves his hand dismissively. As we all exit the room Theo pulls me aside. When Joey is out of sight he leans down to whisper to me.

"When they attack I want you to hide....if I'm alive I will come find you." I shake my head. I know I can't win in a fight against a vampire, but I can't just sit back and watch people die. Theo will be risking his life and I'll be what? Hiding in the corner. No thanks. How can he even ask me that after what I've been through?

"No I-" Theo growls. He pulls me into a nearby room and pushes me inside.

"Look you don't have a choice. I-" Shouts erupt down the hall. They're here. "Hide, and don't come out." He's gone before I can protest. Should I listen to him? I may just be in the way if I go out there.

The whole place shakes following an explosion. I jump out of the way as the glass cabinet falls, shattering at my feet. I don't know why, but I thought they would just fight. No weapons. The room shakes again, and the ceiling groans as dust falls.

Okay Theo told me to hide, but I feel like if I stay in here I'll be crushed. I open the door and peek out. The halls are empty. To the left it leads outside, where I can hear screaming. To my right leads farther into the house. I can't just run into the fight. I wouldn't stand a chance. My best bet is the element of surprise. I run to the right looking for some kind of weapon. Didn't I see some suits of armor on the second floor.

I turn left down another hallway and head for the stairs. It doesn't seem like the fight has made it inside yet. At the top of the stairs I turn right and find a row of suits of armor. One has a battle ax, another a spiked ball in chain. No way could I fight with those. A couple suits down, I find a sword. As soon as I grab it a huge explosion goes off somewhere below me. I fall backwards onto the floor. They must be in the house.

I get to my feet and duck inside a nearby room. I nearly jump out of my skin when I run into someone. It was a young girl, younger than me. She had blonde hair and light blue eyes. She's about to scream when I place my hand over her mouth.

"It's okay." I whisper. "I won't hurt you." She nods and I remove my hand, peeking out the crack in the door. This poor girl is caught up in the middle of all this. Even if I can't go out and fight, I will protect her. I can at least do that.

"Check all the rooms, find the councilman!" Crap they're upstairs. I push the girl towards the closet and place my finger over my lips before closing the door. I couldn't protect Guin, but I will protect her. I take position by the door wielding my sword like a bat. I flinch as they bang open the door to the room next to this one. I can't believe I'm even in a situation like this. How did I go from dating to a full blown war?

As soon as the door flies open I swing. A man stumbles back before falling backwards into the hallway. Okay Arabella this is your chance to lead them away from her. I dash out the door, and the guy on the floor grabs a hold of my ankle. I tumble forward losing my grip on the sword. I use my free foot to kick at him, but he grabs that foot too. His red eyes glare at me. He stands holding me up by my ankles. I swing my fists at him, but he doesn't even flinch.

"Found one!" He shouts to another vampire down the hall.

"Put her with the others." He nods and carries me all the way back downstairs and into the main room where we had all been sitting not long ago. He tosses me down and I throw my hands in front of me to catch my fall. I shoot him a glare, but he doesn't seem to notice. He walks away and I look around. It looks like all the human staff had been gathered here. A few of them glare at the vampires guarding us, but most of them look terrified out of their mind. What will they do to all these people?

"Where is he!" I turn my attention towards the shouting. My eyes widen. A few feet away Theo is being held by two vampires. He smiles at the man in front of him.

"You won't find him." The vampire throws a punch at his face. I jump up before thinking shouting out his name. Theo's head whips around to face me eyes wide just as a vampire near by pushes me from behind. I fall forward onto my hands and knees.

"Stay down." He growls before moving back into position. But the vampire who punched Theo is watching me. He chuckles to himself before approaching me. He lifts me up by my hair pulling it back so I'll look up at him.

"Do you know him?" He asks pointing to Theo. I glance at him and he shakes his head ever so slightly.

"No." I glare up at the vampire holding me. He turns me to face Theo.

"Really?" He snaps his fingers and a vampire moves forward and starts beating Theo. With every punch I cringe. I might have just have made things worse for him.

"Stop!" I shout.

"Well, well, well." He tosses me at Theo's feet. "Do you know where the council man is?" He pulls out a hand gun and points it at me. They push Theo to his knees behind me. I lean back away from the gun that he presses to my forehead, but I manage to keep the glare on my face.

"They didn't tell me." He sighs.

"Then you're of no use to me." He cocks the gun.

"Wait!" I spin around to look at Theo.

"What the hell are you doing?" He doesn't look at me. He can't give into them so easily.

"He's in the basement." There's a basement here?

"And were is that?"

"It-" I slap my hand over his mouth.

"Shut up." I turn back to the vampire. "He won't tell you. If you're going to shoot me then shoot me. But he won't tell you." The man laughs, and points the gun at me again. Theo shakes his head knocking my hand away.

"It through the kitchen, behind the fridge." The man laughs and puts the gun away.

"Oh this will be fun...take them with us. I think Jason will like these two." One of the vampires whacks Theo on the back of the head. He slumps into me before one of them throws him over their shoulder. The other throws me over his shoulder.

Why the hell did he do that? He just gave in, and for what?