1

"Hello, I am Park Chaewon. Today I will be sharing my presentation on the events that led up to the fall of Rome."

"Could this class get any more boring," my new table-partner, Yerim, whispered to me.

"I kind of like it," I mumbled and began to take notes as each slide came up.

"I mean she is really pretty."

"She is really pretty when she talks about the fall of Rome."

"Oh shush it, brains aren't everything."

I glanced over at the middle of the room in the far right, where Yves was seated. I still have not worked up the nerves to speak to her again after the embarrassing run in. Who daydreams about their crush and then bumps into them, dropping all their books, and completely embarrasses themselves?!

It has been about two weeks and all I have managed to get from her is a smile in the hallways. I mean, at least she knows who I am, right?

Yes. She actually knows who I am, I promise it isn't a dream this time.

I suppose she has been extremely busy. I found out from her friend, Haseul (who sits with me in math), that she recently joined the Art Club and is working on a portfolio for some scholarship. I think I could be psychic, since she did enjoy art in my dream.

I usually walk past the art room during lunch to see her. She is always focused on her work, and it is really coming together. I am proud of her and hope the universe is sending this message to her, because I simply can't.

Seriously Jiwoo? Get it together.

"And that is the end. Thank you."

"Stellar job, Chaewon! Very accurate and detailed presentation, the class should definitely take notes on how to put together something as profound as this."

"Thank you," Chaewon smiled and began to make her way to her desk. She is part of the dance team now and is oddly close to Yves.

If there was to ever be a pyramid of high-school fame, lowest at the bottom and most known at the top, it would be like this:

athletes (including the dance team)
|
band kids
|
art kids
|
math club and government
|
me
|
stoners

Sounds pretty solid, right? At least I'm above the stoners, but still pretty low. No offense to the stoners, I'm sure they're all great in their own way.

The bell rang and everyone started rushing out, but of course, I took my time packing my bag. Yves stayed behind to speak to the teacher as well.

"Hey," I heard her say. I thought maybe she was still speaking to the teacher, so I kept packing my bag.

"Jiwoo?" I looked up and the actual goddess herself was looking at me.

Hold on, let me breathe and correct myself. "The actual Yves" sounds better.

"Oh! Hi Yves," I smiled.

"I haven't spoken to you much since our... special encounter," she giggled and glanced at the part of the classroom where my books spilled.

"Ah yes, the cliché movie scene came to life."

"Well, I'll catch you later. I don't wanna be late to math," she smiled one last time and excused herself.

I felt my face get hot and already knew I was a deep red. I looked down and saw that she left a sticky note on my desk.

You seem to be really sweet! Let's talk more and get past this senior year together!
text me: YYX-YYY

I felt my breath get caught in my chest and heard the second bell ring, signaling that everyone should be in class.

And I was late.