Chapter 2

Panic swelled in Levi's chest when he woke up without Mikasa next to him. He sat up quickly and got dressed. His door remained locked and none of the windows were opened. Practically running, Levi bursted out of his door. 'She better not be in that damn room' he thought to himself. Rapid, but quiet footsteps made their way to the training room. No sound was heard from the end of the hallway and he knew. He knew she wasn't there but went anyway. The room was exactly how he had left it the night before. 

Today wasn't exactly an off day, but it was a no-training day which meant cleaning-day. The others were already awake, preparing their cleaning utensils. Levi returned to the kitchen, meeting Eren who searched for a sponge. "Oi Eren," Levi called as he tried to compose himself, masking any panic that might have been present within him. 

"Sir!" Eren quickly saluted. "I-I was just looking for a sponge since its my turn to clean the kitchen and I-" 

Levi groaned. "I don't care about that. Have you seen Mikasa?" 

"Mikasa? No, not yet why?" Eren's expression turned from confused to worry. "Oh no. Is she mad at me again? I'll apologize a million times over again I-"

Annoyed, Levi waved him off. "It was a yes or no question, brat. SHe's not mad at you for god's sakes." He stormed off in a different direction, leaving Eren alone in the kitchen, puzzled. 

As he walked, he looked down every corridor and open door until he got to hers. He rasped the door three times softly, his impatient knuckles meeting the wood. There was no answer. "Mikasa," Levi called, but there was no answer. He knocked again, this time more harsh. "Hey, if you don't answer the door I'm coming in." He said, unwilling to wait any longer. Hoping he wouldn't regret his decision, he turned the doorknob, leading himself in. He froze. She wasn't there either, even looking out the window to see if she was by that tree she sat under from time to time. 

"Levi?" A voice called out to him when he closed the door, resting his forehead on it. "Yoohoo, Leviii"

He looked up to find Hanji, already peppy and ready for the day. Although he had not said anything to her about his relationship, deep down he knew she had her suspicions and knew. "Whatcha doing outside of Mikasa's door like that? She's probably trying to get to all the chores you assigned her." She smiled unlike Levi who's eyes were down cast. 

"She's not in there," Levi spoke simply. Hanji's mouth formed an O shape, about to speak until Levi cut her off. "You know where she is?"

"Nooooo but she's probably with Eren or Armin or.." 

Levi zoned out, away from his friend's rambling. He couldn't think anymore. Suddenly, alarm caught in his chest and anxiety at his throat. "Shit," he muttered, cutting off Hanji's rambling as he took off in the other direction, nearly sprinting. 

He could feel his lungs and legs getting weaker as he neared the stairs to the cold basement. 'You better be there bastard' He thought to himself. 'You better be rotting in there'

Finally, Levi reached the cells, coming face to face with Kenny's. Empty. Dread filled his entire body as he gripped the cold bars until his knuckles turned white, his strength giving out. He felt like screaming when he bashed his hand against the bars of the cell only to find it was still locked. No trace of his escape was left aside from the dead guards on the opposite corner of the room. 

He fell to his knees, his warm body colliding with the stone cold concrete. "Mikasa" was the only thing that could come from his trembling lips. "Mikasa" 

Levi didn't know if he was breathing at that point anymore. Anxiety tore at his heart and throat as words were becoming harder and harder to form. Ultimately his head fell into his hands as his fingers found way to his black strands, tugging at the locks. He gasped for air, finding it too difficult to breathe as the weight of the world became too much for his shoulders to carry. 

Levi should have known better. He should have known that he would pull a trick, just like he always had. "God, Mikasa where are you?" he whispered. He attacked the metal bars once more with his open palm, trying to take out his anger but it was no use. "Where are you?" he whispered again as he looked back down at his bruising hands. 

--

"You're an Ackerman," a deep voice spoke. "You belong here, you belong to something more. You're a tool, a weapon to them." The voice paused for a moment. "Here, you are Ackerman."