VIII. [case of the drowned man]

"Hmn... Good morning," Giorno hums. It was a bit groggy, but it still held a warm, bright tone.

"Someone's in a good mood today," Narancia jokes.

"Aside with the pedantic banter, please," you sigh into your microphone after a quick chuckle. "I'm sure everyone's schedules are tight, so let's get this over with quickly."

Everyone else is seen to be straightening up for discussion, meanwhile Narancia mumbles something about how you were being 'bitchy' in the mornings. You choose to ignore it.

You tried your best to calm your breath for the man who was entering the room, but you were still in a rush to get the meeting done and over with.

"Hello. I'm sure you all know me as your subordinate, but I'll still introduce myself. I'm Rosario Fuda," the familiar voice rings in your ears as he flashes a smile you know all too well - that was his fake one.

You take a good look at him through the screen. His annoying dark brown hair, his annoying sunkissed skin, his annoying smug smile and his annoying brown eyes. Those were the eyes of a snake.

"Welcome, Signore Rosario," you spit through your teeth. "I'd appreciate if we got right to business. Cue," you say.

Giorno plays a videotape featuring the victim, Fabiano Ciccotelli. It was taken from the shore of a beach, meant to record a group of friends enjoying their day. In the background, it was clear that the middle-aged man was drowning in the water by a yacht.

On the boat, there was a woman cleaning up a meal until she turns around and notices him drowning, quickly discarding her shirt and jumping into the water to save him.

Unfortunately, the man had already drowned by then.

Hm, you wish that could happen to a certain someone.

Giorno then shows a few more videos, commenting that they were supplied by the woman; the victim's wife.

The first video was of the man just learning to swim in their private pool, still on a buoyant board to keep him afloat. The same woman was cheering him on while their dog was watching, sitting in an inflatable ring.

The next, taken a month later, featured him actually swimming quite well; it was proof provided by the woman that he could swim. In that tape, she was relaxing in the pool with their dog.

"The suspect drowned in the ocean. Although it's an obvious accidental death, we're still investigating it because of the long link of missing or dead members of Passione," Rosario sighs, obviously bored of today's topic of discussion.

God, you hated his guts.

"We can't be one hundred percent sure," Giorno says with a hesitant tone.

"It was even caught on tape, man. You're wasting your time," the dark-haired annoyance responds.

"I suppose you're right-"

"Don't doubt yourself, Signore Giovanna," you interrupt partly because of Rosario's incorrect hypothesis, partly because you felt bad that he was unsure of himself, and partly because you genuinely hated Rosario. "This is murder."

You were just glad you didn't accidentally admit Giorno was the don.

"Oh," Giorno says indifferently, before eyeing your rival, giving an 'I-told-you-so' look. You found it amusing.

"The videotape of him drowning... does it have digital processing?"

Giorno nods with a hum.

"Skip to where he just starts to realize he can't swim... yeah, there- wait, no, a little further back. Yes, perfect," you instruct as the blond follows your lead. "Alright, now zoom in on Ciccotelli's wife."