8

-Three and a half weeks later-
Two-hundred and six missed calls. One-hundred and sixty-eight text messages. Fifty-four voice mails.

People think I don't see their calls or texts. I see them though. I watch my phone ring, I view every notification. I count the voice mails and imagine what they say.

Hey Dakota, just checking up on you. Haven't seen or heard from you in a while. Call me.

I knew they were all along the lines of those exact words. I've never been this unmotivated in my life. I've gotten out of bed to use the bathroom and grab water every once in a while. I haven't been to school. I've talked to Charlie, my dad and mom maybe a few times after I got the news. I've talked to my mom more than anybody, though.

I've never felt my heart sink and shatter. I've never felt like a hole in my chest this huge. I've never felt more miserable and upset. I've had to turn my pillow over once a day because it would be soaked with my salty ocean tears.

I've got the worst breakout on my skin, from staying in this room and not taking care of myself. My hair is knotted and my breath reeks. I smell. But I don't care. At all. Not even one bit of me cares enough to get up and shower.

I looked at my phone again for the time and date.

It's Friday, 2:30 PM.

I decided that I need to pee and got up, lifting my stinky sheets off of my body. I took my time getting to the bathroom, if I hurried I felt as if I was going to pass out.

My face was covered in pimples and zits, I didn't even realize my hair was this bad. I look like a mess. I know I do. But oh well.

A knock on the bathroom door interrupted my thoughts, "Dakota? Sweetheart?" It was my mom.

It took a lot for me to get out a simple, "yeah?"

"Somebody is here to check on you," she told me.

I opened the door and saw my mom standing there, a smile on her face. I assumed Shelly was here.

I walked downstairs and didn't see Shelly. Instead it was...Austin? How..? What did he say to have permission in the house?

I looked at him dead in the eye, I've never seen him so shocked. His eyes fell down my body and he covered his mouth with his hand. "Dakota..how could you.. Why aren't you at school?"

I have so many questions myself for him.

"I'm going to go drop off Charlie at Luke's house, I'll see you two when I come home. I love you," my mom kisses my forehead and hugged my tightly. I couldn't hug back any tighter, my strength has suddenly disappeared.

"Where's..dad?"

She grabbed her purse before speaking. "He's working. I'll see you in fifteen," that was all she told me before shutting the front door. I heard her car engine roar and she zoomed off.

"What did you tell my mom to be able to get in here?" I asked Austin.

He sat down on the living rooms couch and took my hand with him. "I told her I was your teacher. And that I was very concerned, that it would be very appreciated if I could talk to you about your missing assignments. And catch you up, all of that type of stuff."