Chapter 4

Finn

So today’s the big day. Kurt got home yesterday and when I asked him to make me over he very excitedly agreed. So at 8am this morning he had me up and on my way to the mall. Apparently there are quite a few things that I need to take care of. 

Our first stop is the hairdressers, short hair is in I’ve been informed. 

Second stop is to the optometrist where I apparently needed to get new trendier frames for my reading glasses, which I should only where when actually reading. 

After we were finished there we must have visited every clothing shop in Lima. I have bags and bags of gear and even though my mother happily handed over the credit card when I told her I wanted to update my image I know my father is going to have a heart attack when he sees the bill. No wonder they sent Kurt away, there probably wasn’t a mall anywhere near by his new school. 

On my way home I cant help but think back to Friday night. It felt funny driving Rachel home and I didn’t quite know what to say to her after the little run in with Sam. Should I have thanked her? I didn’t know so I didn’t say anything. We talked about her classes the band and then we settled for our usual subject. Kurt. 

‘So you wanna tell me who this is all for’ Kurt finally asks me. I’ve been waiting all day for it. 

Kurt

You see I know my brother fairly well, which is why I felt like I had to ask the question. 

‘So you wanna tell me who this is all for?’ 

He doesn’t look surprised so I know it’s for someone. I’ve been trying to convince him to do this for years but he would never go for it. Always sprouting a whole lot of shit about being happy the way he was. 

‘I don’t know if I should’ he finally answers me. 

‘She must be pretty special’ I tell him, and I truly believe that because my brother is the sort of guy that doesn’t do things half way. It’s all or nothing so she must be worth it for him to change his entire image. The only person my brother has ever shown any interest in is our next door neighbour Rachel. 

‘Shit,’ I curse. 

‘Finn this isn’t about Rachel is it?’ I ask him. Don’t get me wrong I love Rachel Berry and I think it would be wonderful to see her and Finn hook up but Rachel is one of the most popular girls at school and I don’t want to see my brother get hurt. 

His face instantly turns red and I know I was right. 

‘Finn’ I sigh. 

‘Look Kurt this isn’t just about Rachel. It’s about me finding the courage to tell Rachel how I feel’ he replies after some thought.

‘Your gonna knock her socks off’ I reply with a laugh. 

‘I drove her home on Friday night’ he blurts out then and I turn to look at him. 

‘Where from?’ 

‘There was a party and flammable played. She asked me to take her home’ he explained. 

‘Um ok’ I reply not sure what he’s getting at. 

‘She’s been acting different’ he tells me then. 

‘What do you mean?’ I ask him. 

‘You know always talking to me, inviting me places. I don’t know it could be nothing’ he stammers. 

‘But you don’t think it is?’ 

‘I guess I’m hoping it is something’ he tells me and I see me brother in a totally different light. It’s not the fact that except for the daggy clothes he has on he actually looks like a hottie now with his new hair cut but I actually see a confidence in him and I cant help but think look out Rachel Berry. 

Rachel 

So it’s another week at school and I’m standing here at my locker sorting through my stuff when I notice a folder that isn’t mine with my name on it. Before I get the chance to open it though I’m interrupted by hurricane Lopez. 

‘Rachel did you hear?’ she asks me. 

‘What no hi Rachel how are you today?’ I mumble without taking my head out of the locker where I’m searching for my English text. 

‘Oh yeah sorry, so I take it that means no’ 

‘What are you talking about Santana?’ I finally pull my head out of the locker to see her. 

‘There’s a new guy and apparently he’s to die for, all the girls are talking about him. You should hear them in the toilets’ she explains. 

‘There’s only a couple more weeks of school left this semester, why would someone knew start?’ I ask her. 

She sighs ‘Focus Rachel this could be the perfect guy for you’ she tells me. I put my head back down and continue my search of my locker which by the way has a lot of Santana's crap in it so I don’t notice the look on her face as someone approaches us. 

‘Because Santana you know who I’m interested in. We’ve been over this’ I tell her and yes of course I’m referring to Finn. 

‘Well you should change your mind’ she tells me in a whisper grabbing on to my arm as she smile and stares at the figure standing behind us. 

‘Um hey Rachel’ he says and I smile because I would know that voice anywhere. I wrench my arm free of Santana's grasp and twirl around to face him, but when I do my heart stops. 

‘Finn?’ I asked in shock. 

He gives me his little half smile ‘gee I don’t look that different do I’ he says. 

‘Wow’ is all I can say as I eye him from head to toe and my god what a journey it is. 

‘Thanks. Just thought it was time for a change’ he explains. A change, more like a transformation I mean his hair is cut short and slightly spiky and his glasses are absent which means that you can actually see his beautiful face and he’s wearing a pair of faded blue jeans and a tight black sweater which shows of a tonne of muscle that I have never seen before. 

I finally pull myself together. I mean this is Finn; I liked him before this superficial change. ‘I like it’ I smile ‘but I liked the old you too you know’ I tell him. 

He grins at me then ‘Man Hudson you sure clean up nice’ Santana finally says she is eyeing him like he’s her next meal so I instantly turn to her and scowl. Then it hits me Finn must be the guy all the girls are talking about. 

‘So uh do you think I could walk you to class?’ he asks me then. 

‘Will you carry my books?’ I ask him with a playful grin. 

‘Did you ever doubt it?’ he responds just as playfully but I happily hand over my couple of books.