Chapter 21 - Move on

Start from the beginning

"Caleb is going to the beach later with a girl. When I asked him to go with me, he swore at me!"

"Shit man, she's my teacher don't tell her I swear!"

"I think you just did." Ella laughed.

She made eye contact with Joe and smiled. Joe missed their private jokes and those moments when they would both think something was funny and catch each others' eye.

"She's in your class. What's her name, Gaby?"

"Oh yeah, she has a great voice."

Caleb murmured, "I'm not listening to this." He turned and retreated to his room.

Joe smiled, "I never thought he would leave. Do you want a drink?"

"Not now. Joe, she seems like an okay girl, but just so you know she wears the patch."

Joe knew what Ella was saying. All the teachers knew what the girls wore the patch for and it wasn't to stop smoking. He also knew Caleb was far from innocent. Because Whitney made sure Caleb knew what Joe was up to at sixteen, he had no moral clout now.

"That ship has sailed." Joe replied.

"He's a good looking kid and I saw her talking to him. I'm concerned he'll attract the wrong crowd by the way he dresses."

"I know. Every day is a challenge and it is a battle I can't deal with."

"He reminds me of kids at Sebago who..."

Joe finished her sentence. "... Who we were always trying to catch Juuling, but never could. He's told me he doesn't do drugs. I find it hard to trust him. Obviously, we're dysfunctional."

Joe had been dealing with Caleb on his own and just being able to talk to Ella helped him not to feel helpless. He had missed her being there for him. They had been a team, who shared every worry and joy until he left and lost sight of that.

"My biggest regret was shutting you out. I didn't want my mother to hurt you and that was exactly what happened."

"How could a woman who was in a wrong relationship for years wish it on her son?"

"Out of desperation, I asked Whitney..." He noticed Ella flinched at her name. "... Why she and my mother had tricked me. She said it was because I would take care of her. It seems my mother was worried she would end up with the wrong man too."

"She did."

"I know and I even asked why she was ready to settle without love and she told me she'd hoped I'd come around. I could never, because I had already given my heart away. I'd like to think..."

He was interrupted by the buzzer. The food had arrived. Caleb heard it and shot out of his room. Joe sat back as they ate and watched Ella and Caleb. She amazed him the way she had Caleb opening up to her. She was so easy to talk to. Joe was still eating when Caleb jumped up and started for the door.

"Eleven and I mean it! No drinking!" Joe called as Caleb shut the door behind him. Joe looked at Ella and said, "He likes you."

"I like him. I think he likes you more than he lets on."

"I'm used to being hated by everyone," Joe stood and started clearing the table.

Ella stood and helped him and when they had finished, she said, "I'll take that drink. I want to talk to you."

Joe felt a fist in his gut and a lump in his throat anytime she became serious. He feared she was going to tell him she hated him."

She took a sip of her beer and then a deep breath. "Joe, I've been doing a lot of thinking and I want you to know you hurt me more than I can express."