Chapter 20 - Butterflies

Start from the beginning

She hadn't cared if he was mad at her. The art teacher was after Joe, and she was tall and quite striking. It didn't surprise her when Joe appeared during her free block. Every time she saw him, she wanted to pinch herself to ensure she wasn't dreaming. Today he looked apprehensive with a thin smile.

He greeted her quietly and scrutinizing her face. "Are you alright?" She nodded. "I'm sorry I teased you about your date. I make light of it, because I'm jealous as hell, but I deserve it."

"I met Caleb's art teacher. She has the hots for you."

"That's what Caleb said when I met her, but I assured him I wasn't interested."

"She's tall and pretty."

Joe walked closer to her. They were standing close enough, so either could reach out and grab the others hand.

"I don't want tall and pretty. I want short and beautiful. You know I only want you. So do you want to deny I can make your knees weak?"

She saw the twinkle in his green irises and she knew he was trying to rile her up.

Ella sighed loudly. "Joe, I won't deny it because I know it's true. It doesn't change the fact you hurt me."

"Maybe my kisses could help heal the hurt. You know I can kiss it and make it better."

His eyes turned darker, no longer playful. She smiled, because she really did want to kiss him. He returned her smile and she saw his whole body relax. He tried to act cool, but she could see how unsure he was.

"I'm not going to kiss you in school."

She had never liked kissing in school even when the staff and students knew they were dating.

"What about the beach?"

She shook her head. "I'm going to have dinner with my parents."

"Can I come to see you perform on Saturday?"

"Sure, you can pull up a chair and sit with Tony and Ava." She smiled at her suggestion, but the truth was she wasn't ready to tell her family he was back.

"I'll pass. How about Friday? Come have dinner with us. We can't talk."

"Like we can talk with Caleb there." She reminded him.

"Come on El. I just want to spend time together. I missed you every day when I was gone, but now I've seen you it's worse."

Ella resisted every urge she had to put her arms around him. "Maybe, can you go because I have work to do. Oh, I told Christa that you were divorced, it kind of slipped out."

"I can pretend it never happened, but the sadness on your face is a reminder. El, I'm sorry."

She felt the tears, even though she hadn't cried in a few days. "Will you please go? I need to be ready for my class."

Joe reached out his hand, but quickly pulled it back. "I'll talk to you later. You're behind on questions."

She watched him leave and wiped the corner of her eyes where the tears had formed but hadn't fallen.

"Darling, you look different! You cut your hair?" Julie asked.

"Two weeks ago, but you've seen me since."

"You look rested."

"Jules, leave her alone. She doesn't need you fussing over her."

"Tim, I'm not fussing, I'm a mother. Ella, sweetheart, tell us about the new school."

"It's good. The kids are no different really. There are a few very talented ones."

Tim said, "You can go to the ocean after work. It's so close."