Chapter 8 ~Arlene's Story

Arlene's POV

**a week and a half later**

I pulled into my driveway, finally back home. Shutting the car door with my foot, I lugged my suitcase up the porch steps. I took out my key and unlocked the door.

"Emily, I'm home!" I shouted. The only answer I got was Akira. She trotted up to my, whining. I pet her head. "It's alright, girl, she's probably out with Seth."

Sighing, I walked down the hall and to my room. I sat on my bed and took off my shoes. I felt like I was being watched. I seen movement out of the corner of my eye.

"Who's there?" I jumped up and looked around. There. I stopped and looked into a dark corner of my closet. I stepped closer.

"Ms. Kairn?" said a small choked up voice.

"ShiAnne?! What? How the hell did you get in here?" I asked, stunned. She crawled out, cheeks stained with tears.

"S- she's gone! H- he took her! Right out the window! H- he hit her! Ms. Kairn, we gotta find her!" She was hysterical. She cried harder.

"It's okay, it's okay. Well get her back." I said soothingly. Then I realized. "ShiAnne, I need you to tell me exactly what you saw, okay?" She nodded.

"Emily wanted me to come over when you left," she started, "I couldn't because I was at a party. Feeling bad, I came by the next morning. I looked through the window to the living room. There was a man. He threw her off the couch. She....she thought it was Seth. When she got up and saw him she screamed. I wa-"

"What did he look like?" I interrupted.

"Well he had black hair that hung in his face. He had bright, green eyes that were very compelling. He was wearing a heavy-looking, leather jacket and dark jeans. He also had gloves on." she stated.

That's....so familiar... Green eyes....

"Come on," I told her, "let's get you something to eat. Then we're going to the police." She nodded, stomach growling. We walked into the living room. I stopped, rather curious.

"How long have you been in there? I was gone for two weeks." I asked.

"I was so horrified that I went to tell my mom, but she wouldn't believe me...she though I was on drugs.. I came back two days ago to see if I had imagined it, but she was gone.." she said. More tears rolled down her rosy cheeks.

"Come on, we can stop at McDonald's." I told her. I gave Akira a treat, then we went to my car.

I drove to the nearest McDonald's in silence. I looked over to ShiAnne. She was napping. I shook her shoulder gently.

"ShiAnne, what would you like?" I asked her. She sat up and looked at the drive-in menu.

"Uh a cheeseburger and something to drink is fine, thanks." she said. I nodded and ordered.

"And your total is $10.97. Please pull forward ma'am." the clerk said. I smiled at him and moved ahead.

I was handed the food and drove away. ShiAnne hardly ate. I couldn't either.

Emily...oh no. I knew I shouldn't have left her alone.. I hope she's okay.. I clutched the steering wheel tightly. ShiAnne's description.. It's so familiar...

I pulled into the police station. ShiAnne immediately jumped out, almost crying again. She ran up the steps and into the building. I stepped out and did the same.

"Ms. Kairn?" the sheriff asked, puzzled.

"Bill! It's Emily! She's been taken! We have to find her! ShiAnne, tell them what you told me!" I was almost hysterical.