FORTY-TWO , STILES THE HERO

Start from the beginning

...

He'd left her alone in a room with nothing.

Maybe that's why she felt like she was going insane, or maybe it was because he had drilled a freaking hole in her head. Harper held said body part, tears streaming down her face as she cried. It felt like it weighed a ton, so she slipped to the floor, scrunching her eyes shut.

The sensation was excruciating.

It was like every Empathic feeling she had ever had in the past two years rolled into one. Everything hurt.

Everything.

Valack told her that he would be back with some equipment to speed the process up. Harper still wasn't entirely sure what he was after, but she did know that everything lead back to the Dread Doctors and his interest in Empaths.

"She doesn't have much time," she heard Meredith say. "She's being consumed by her own power. Doctor Valack thinks it's worth it if she can save him."

Harper slowly raised her head from the ground, slitted eyes looking for the girl.

"Save him from what?" Scott. Oh god had she missed Scott.

His voice echoed and she realised they weren't nearby. Somehow she could still hear them though.

"The Dread Doctors," Meredith replied, "they despise him. Valack had children with women with the intent of creating more Empaths because they're the only creature Dread Doctors can't create. They don't just misunderstand them- they're scared of them."

"So what? He wants to become one?"

"No. He's figuring out how to make a Chimera part Empath for them. He's using her as a sacrifice for his own safety."

"So how do I get past the Mountain Ash? How can I save her?"

"You can't. But Lydia can. They're connected when they dream. Find the other Banshee, she'll find the Empath."

A searing pain shot through her head, so bad that she started to heave. Her body lurched, her stomach muscles contracting as she placed her hand on the wall, trying to climb up.

Suddenly, her entire body cramped up and she fell backwards, releasing a scream that would make a banshee jealous.

She just hoped one of her friends had heard her.

...

The brunette came to when she felt wet cotton being dabbed against the hole on the side of her head. Harper winced, moving her head from where it had been lolled back uncomfortably. She realised that she was raised off of the ground in a chair, her wrists and ankles strapped down. It wasn't like she could try and escape anyway- she was in too much pain.

"Just hang on a little longer, Harper," a familiar English accent cooed, "I think I'm finally starting to make a breakthrough."

Harper whimpered as her dad came into focus, taking away the cotton wool to write something down in his notepad. He grabbed something off of the messy desk to his side. He held up another needle, making her shake her head and release a dry sob.

"No more," she begged. "Please, no more."

He moved over to the wound in her head, placing the needle there. She gasped in sickening pain as she felt him take something away from her. When he pulled back, her blood was silver.

Mercury.

A grin broke through on his face, "I did it."

She had never in her entire seventeen years of living seen her dad so happy.