Chapter Eighteen

I stare at the window, waiting for Cato to re-appear, but he never does. As soon as they fixed my arm, the door across the window closed, Cato behind it. I tremble, letting what I just did sink in. I freeze when I catch my reflection in the window. My fiery hair, once in neat dutch braids, was now a rats nest. You could tell they were two braids, but sticks and loose hairs stick out all over. My cheeks were hallowed, more than they were when this whole issue started. My once bright, determined eyes seemed glazed over, scared, sad, broken. I had dirt smeared all over my face. A nurse comes and hooks an IV up to my damaged arm, and she trembles, not making eye contact. 

As she walks away, she unhooks my pin from my jacket. Placing it above my left breast, I can see fear in her eyes. My eyes travel down her face, and I freeze. Reaching my good hand up, I quickly pull the collar of her lab coat up. I nod at her, letting her know that the message is known. As she walks away, I can't help but pray that no one sees the tattoo I saw on her neck. The sign of defiance that could possibly get the both of us and every one involved punished, killed even. The door closes and I sink down into the bed, letting the reality of this situation hit me with full force. 

I killed Peeta. I choose Cato. I was going to die for him. Let him die for me.

Another Capitol person enters my glass room. He presents to me a a tray filled with different drinks. I reach for the darkest of the drinks, snarling my nose at the orange juice with the obnoxious white frilly straw. I pick up a clear glass with an amber substance. Taking a sip, I can't help but moan. It was iced tea. I narrow my eyes on my hands. My nails were caked with dried blood and dirt. Tiny scars cover my fingers. I close my eyes to try and get rest.

When I open my eyes, we are in the middle of landing on top of the Training Center. In my drowsy state, I see them lead a fuming Cato out of the ship. When he sees me awake, he dives for my room, but they practically carry his towering body off. About five minutes pass, when they motion for me to leave. My eyes catch sight of neon pink hair, and I shoot off in a sprint. 

"Ashlynn!" Effie cries when she sees me. When I crash into her open arms, she doesn't say a thing about manners. When I pull back, I see tears falling down her face. I turn to Haymitch, who says nothing, just observes.

"Peeta," I start, feeling myself crumble. He opens his arms, and I sink into them. I sob into his arms, caring less if cameras were filming this very moment. 

"Shh, it's okay." He mumbles, and holds me. I pull back, and they usher me to a room.

"Done!" Flavius cries. Normally I would cringe at the stupid high-pitch of his voice. But now, I can't help but weakly smile. Holding my hand to my face, I observe the now perfectly shaped nails, and clean, fair skin. They did something that rid it of the tiny scars. They turn me to the mirror and I gasp at my appearance. 

My hair was shiny, and a coppery golden red color. It looked like normal, just better. It fell in soft waves down my back. My lips were smooth, no longer chapped and cracked. My freckles peaked out on the top of my cheekbones, and my eyebrows were thoroughly groomed. I turn and hug my multi-colored freaks, that I couldn't help but love. 

When the door opens, I tackle Cinna to the ground, hugging him tightly. He hugs me tightly, then stands to his feet. 

"I told you you would make it." He says with a smirk. I can't help but laugh. He leads me to a seating area. When he sits down, he simply watches me.

"What?" I ask nervously. 

"So, Cato?" He responds with a question. I feel the color rising to my face.

"Cinna. I-" I pause. "I think I was going to let him eat the berries. I think I was going to let him die." 

"Were you?" He asks tilting his head. I fold my trembling hands.

"From what I have seen Ashlynn, you are not a monster. You probably would have eaten them."

"Yeah," I whisper. 

"You guys have good chemistry. They're calling you a power couple." He states calmly, then continues watching me. 

"Is he okay?" I ask quietly. Cinna nods.

"They want your reunion to be live." He responds, and I nod. Then the burning question I had been avoiding leaves my mouth. 

"Back home, Mina, is she?" I ask and he smiles. 

"Mina is fine. Haymitch has been keeping eyes on her." I nod and calm down.

He stands and motions for the Avox who I didn't notice to come forward.

"Take her to her room." He says and I stand. "And Ash, sleep well." 

I follow the Avox. When I reach my room, she turns to leave. But right before the door closes, she holds her three fore-fingers to her lips, then to me. I return the sign, and sink down in the bed. My eyes close to nightmares.