Why did you let me live? - Athena x Nyx & Desire x Leto

Start from the beginning

Slowly removing the cover, she winced and blinked against the harsh rays of the sun beating down on her from above. With a quick surveillance of the world around her, she deflated, feeling panic worming through her stomach once again. She couldn't see anything - just miles and miles of everlasting ocean. Nothing more. Nothing less. No land, no boats, not even a hallucination of an island.

Pushing the cover back even further, she sat up on a wooden plank, wrapped her arms around herself and dropped her head downwards. What she would give to be home. Yes, the town outcasted her and treated her like shit, but at least there she could gather enough food and water to survive. Here? There was nothing but fish she couldn't eat without dying of food poisoning and salt water that would probably kill her quite quickly.

Then she really wished she was killed by one of those creatures.

The day passed by agonisingly slow, and as each hour passed Nyx felt herself wilting and wilting even further. It didn't help she hadn't had anything to drink for at least a few days before this. They only gave her the minimum amount of sustenance she would need to survive, but not enough to make her too strong so they'd have a hard time fighting against her.

At this point the sun had passed over her and was nearing the horizon, but Nyx couldn't care less, as during the night it was sure to be freezing, and she didn't have much which constituted to warmth. She was sure to die of hypothermia that night, but something changed that thought very quickly. She heard a noise.

She straight assumed it was just her going mad, and then logic suggested it was the ocean sloshing against the side of the boat, but when it happened again, and a third time without concession, she finally lifted her head and opened her weak eyes. At the opposite end of the boat was three heads attached to their torsos, each with impossibly bright eyes staring at her intently.

Nyx gasped and grabbed the wooden board underneath her, panic rising up her like bile before she would vomit. It was them. It was the creatures. They were going to kill her.

She heard old tales of these things as a child, these creatures called mermaids, and it was drilled into her from a young age to stay away, don't let them lure you in with their sweet songs and warming smiles, but they weren't singing, or smiling, they looked confused, like lost puppies, with their heads cocked and face neutral.

She stayed as still as she could, only flinching when one of the mermaids began to move through the water closer to her, holding onto the edge of the boat as she did. This certain mermaid had long, light blue hair patterned with white, their expression slowly morphing into one of caution but concern.

Nyx didn't know what to do so she stumbled and tripped to the very back of the boat, never letting her eyes leave the creatures that stopped moving when she moved. Groping around the space underneath her, she received a tattered gun, not knowing if it even had any ammo, but that didn't matter to her, for she quickly held it in the light blue mermaids direction, hand shaking lightly.

The light-blue mermaids gills on the side of her neck flexed but other than that she didn't move.

"S-stay away from me" Nyx demanded, desperately trying to keep up a steady voice, but it betrayed her.

The light-blue mermaid returned to her friends, but Nyx knew that wouldn't be the end. A different mermaid, the one on the other side with dark blue hair accented black, pulled into a low ponytail made her advancements over, but even when Nyx told her to stay back and held the gun in her direction she didn't stop until she was right up beside the human girl who quivered, leaning back so far she was about to fall in.

The dark-blue mermaid reached up and took the gun away, running it through the water before throwing it back into the boat. Nyx made a soft whimper of a noise, wanting to move away but that would make her closer to the other ones. She didn't even debate trying to swim away for she was more than sure they were better swimmers than her. They were mermaids for fucks sake! She was a human who hadn't done much exercise in her entire life.