Something Just Like This

Start from the beginning

"Great. Well, I'm going to take her down while you two figure out whatever it is that you're going to do. Do not follow us," Veronica said with a small wrinkle of her nose.

"Thank you," Pidge whispered as Veronica helped her out of the room, the attendings hand around her waist.

"No problem. What was that about? They seem to be working together more than usual," Veronica said with an amused tilt of her head as she helped Pidge walk to the elevator.

"I honestly have no clue. You don't think that the stupid intervention I planned worked, right?"

"With these two? Not a chance," Veronica snickered. "What do you think happened?"

"I think I kind of scared them into working together, if I'm being honest," Pidge laughed as she and Veronica stepped into the elevator together.

Veronica frowned. "Pidge, I know it seems funny to you, but it isn't really that funny. You were out cold for almost a solid hour. You were so pale and sweaty when I got called up to the room you were in."

"Did it really scare everyone that much?"

"You nearly scared poor Acxa half to death. She was crying out for help and cradling your head in her lap when Lotor and Shiro ran into the room. Lotor almost had a heart attack and Shiro ran back out to get a gurney."

"When in the world did Keith get here? I thought he went home," Pidge said in confusion, stepping out of the elevator with Veronica.

"That's the weird thing. I thought Shiro called him, but it turns out that he was waiting at the front of the hospital to wait for you. Lotor ended up calling him inside to update him on what happened, though. They argued the entire time."

"About what?"

"About who was right about which medical diagnosis," Veronica said with a stifled laugh, pushing the door open to the first room in the OB/GYN wing.

"Keith can't even diagnose things, though," Pidge giggled. "What did they say?"

"Lotor said the obvious that your blood pressure dropped, and Keith insulted him before saying that you were too pale. He suggested that you might've had a stroke."

"Stupid idiot," she smiled fondly, sitting on the examination bed. "Well? What are you going to do, Veronica?"

"I'm just going to give you an ultrasound to make sure the baby is okay and I'm going to take your blood pressure."

Veronica sat down at her station in front of her computer, typing in something before turning to the side and picking up the tube that held the gel in it.

"Okay, you know the drill. Lift your scrubs and I'll check you out."

"I hate that stupid gel. It's so unnecessarily cold,"
Pidge grumbled as she lifted her shirt, shuddering when Veronica placed the gel on her abdomen.

"Okay, now stay still so we can see what's going on," Veronica said, placing the small transducer over Pidge's bump.

Silence filled the room before Veronica shifted it a bit to the left, and then a strong heartbeat was heard on the monitor. Veronica grinned, shifting the computer screen a bit more towards Pidge.

"She's smiling!"

"She is definitely not Lotor's kid," Pidge snorted in amusement. "Her heart rate sounds good. Does she still have all ten fingers and toes?"

"Yep, they're all there. She's moving her hand a bit," Veronica cooed, smiling sweetly. "Everything looks good, just as I suspected. Now, let's get your blood pressure."