"It looks like we're late to the party," Taehyung whispered as they both made eye contact with a disapproving Jimin. He sped up his pace without releasing her hand from his, causing Jimin's frown to deepen when they finally did reach him.

"You're late," he muttered, throwing Taehyung's armour at him and calling for his horse.

"Excuse me, but we were very preoccupied this morning."

Lisa threw him a teasing smile, "and last night too, apparently."

When Taehyung and Chaeyoung just stared at her, feigning complete innocence, she pointed to the spot above her right collarbone, "you have a little mark right about here. I wonder what ever it could be?"

Jimin and Lisa exchanged a knowing look as Taehyung glanced down at his neck and Chaeyoung's cheeks flared with colour.

"Oh this?" Taehyung shrugged casually, "probably just a mosquito bite."

"A mosquito named Chaeyoung probably," Jungkook added, overhearing the conversation and joining them, his comment inciting more snickers amongst their group.

Taehyung raised a dark brow at him, "jealous?"

"Ya, a little." His quick response and light tone made it appear like a joke, causing another round of chuckles to flutter through the crowd. But when Chaeyoung glanced up at him, she could've sworn she saw a sliver of sincerity flash across his eyes before he averted his gaze. And though Taehyung maintained an easy smile on his face, the tightening of his hand in hers told her he could sense it too.

"Alright, alright," Yoongi approached them in his battle armour with Jisoo following closely, "that's enough nonsense for today, we must leave now if we want to avoid running into Mingyu's men and thereby ruining our only advantage in this war: the element of surprise."

"As much as I hate to say it, Yoongi is right," Taehyung sighed, glancing up at the sky.

He used one hand to motion the soldiers to begin mounting their horses. As more and more of them gathered around the base, forming several organized rows, Chaeyoung finally began to realize the gravity of their situation. In just a few moments he would be leaving and there was no guarantee that he would ever come back.

Taehyung began to gently release her hand, which only exacerbating the panic growing in her heart. She whined slightly in protest, clutching onto his fingers firmly and refusing to release him.

He glanced down at their tightly intertwined hands in amusement, "relax, sweetheart, I'm just going to put on my armor."

"Oh," she responded quietly, only slightly embarrassed for her unusually clingy behaviour, "well, can't you do it with one hand?"

With a deep chuckle, he kissed her temple, "I will only borrow my hand for a few seconds, I promise. Then, it's all yours again."

Reluctantly, she obliged. Watching the silver metal enwrap his lean muscles gave her the tiniest sense of security. At least he would have some protection.

As he remained focused on donning his armour, she glanced around at the rest of her companions. A smile spread across her face when she caught Yoongi and Jisoo sneaking behind one of the many horses to share a secret farewell. Then, her gaze wandered to her right just in time to witness Jimin planting a soft kiss on Lisa's cheek, causing her to drop her basket of bread rolls in complete shock. Chaeyoung sighed inwardly at the sight. There was so much love and premature grief in the air that it was almost overwhelming. Everyone had something to lose and something to fight for.

Taehyung flashed her a boyish smile when he was fully enshrouded in royal blue and silver armour and Chaeyoung's heart clenched in a confusing mixture of affection and dread.