30) City of Steal

A few days spent in Daegu was more than sufficient, in Chaeyoung's opinion. It was a bittersweet feeling, leaving such a loving community, but the place and all of its people served as constant reminders of the life she desperately wanted – the life she could only dream for herself. And the longer they stayed, the harder it was to leave. For everyone.

"Aw, I'm going to miss them," Lisa pouted, staring longingly at a family of white cats that ran past Chaeyoung's horse.

With a sigh, Chaeyoung looked up from the bag she was packing full of food to glance a few feet away at all the people who had gathered to bid farewell to Taehyung and Yoongi, "me too."

"Hey, how are you doing?" Jisoo glanced over from her horse at Chaeyoung, her expression a cross between sympathy and pity, "you know, after the break up and everything?"

Chaeyoung groaned in exasperation, "for the last time, we were not dating."

"Maybe not officially, but –"

"I'm fine," she replied curtly, attaching her leather bag to Midnight's saddle with what some would consider 'aggressive' force, "we have more important matters to attend to. Defeating a corrupt king and saving the country, to name a few. So, it doesn't matter how I'm feeling. Queens are not allowed to feel."

Lisa squeezed her hand reassuringly, "That's not fair, you two are perfect –"

"Guys, please," Chaeyoung pleaded, looking up at the pale-blue sky and blinking rapidly to clear her eyes of the burning fluid that seemed to continuously pour out of her these days, "I can't do this right now."

No matter how irrational it was, a part of her was hoping the longer she avoided the topic, the sooner she would move on. Dwelling on the matter always ended with the same outcome: tears, pain, and more tears. And what she was not about to do was break down in front of Taehyung and all his people. That would only hurt him.

Thus, as always, Chaeyoung needed to be strong.

"Your majesty," Mr. Kim's voice caused Chaeyoung to clear her throat and pull herself together quickly before turning around to face Taehyung's father, "I wanted to thank you. With your help, we were able to produce enough medicine to treat the majority of our patients and host an excellent lantern festival at the same time."

"It was our pleasure, Mr. Kim," she smiled politely at him, trying not to think about how much the older man resembled his son.

He smiled and beckoned at someone behind her, "and, a deal is a deal, so here comes our present to you for your assistance."

Chaeyoung turned around curiously, her eyes growing wide when she saw Jimin walking towards her, fully suited in protective armour, and dragging along a very reluctant Jennie by her sleeve.

"I promised you our best archers, and since you already have 2 of them by your side, we thought you could use two more skilled warriors to aid your quest."

"That is very generous of you," Chaeyoung replied, though a part of her felt guilty for tearing two more people away from their home to aid her dangerous journey, "but, I wouldn't want to steal any more of your warriors from their families. I know how much they are needed here."

Mr. Kim gazed at her warmly, "well then I guess that means you must promise they will return to us safely."

Chaeyoung gulped, her stomach turning anxiously at the weight of such a request, "I promise they will come back. All of them, Taehyung and Yoongi included."

"Thank you," he nodded, his eyes shining with understanding.

At that moment Jimin and Jennie reached them. Jennie was practically scowling, but Chaeyoung could've sworn she saw Jimin flash Lisa a grin before he bowed deeply in front of the ladies.