46) Promise

D-1

"I can't do this anymore," Taehyung groaned, collapsing to the the ground beside Chaeyoung.

Her response was supportive and patient. "Yes, you can, just give it another try."

"It is too difficult. We should have never started this in the first place."

"It was your idea."

"Well I am officially giving up."

"How can you just give up?" Chaeyoung asked in an exaggeratedly shocked tone, "think about our future children."

"Ugh fine," he grumbled, sitting back up and positioning himself behind her as he picked up several chunks of her long wavy hair, "but I'm only doing this for the children."

Chaeyoung laughed, gently closing her eyes as he combed his large hands through the full length of her hair before attempting to braid it again. Distractedly, her hand glided up to the jade pendant around her neck, the smooth gem bringing her even more comfort than she already felt.

After their wild night in the hot spring and the even wilder night which followed, her hair was understandably ruffled. Taehyung had offered to tie it back for her but had soon discovered that it was not as easy a task as he had envisioned. Chaeyoung, on the other hand, was fully entertained by his constant frustrated grunts and whiny behaviour. It was the first time she had seen this side of him – fully relaxed but slightly moody with a pouty morning face to complete the look. If this was the face she would wake up to every day, then everyday would be perfect.

As his fingers fumbled their way through her hair, she gazed up at the streaks of light peeking through the dark morning. Automatically, a sense of dread blossomed in the pit of her stomach, climbing its way to her heart and causing it to clench. In a few hours, they would be split apart. Only a day remained till the war. A day of anticipating, dreading, and preparing for the worst.

It took him several moments to master the art of braiding, but Chaeyoung did not mind at all. She stayed still like the perfect doll the palace maids had trained her to be.

Her mind began to wander to her youth when she would sit in a similar fashion as multiple people attended to her. In their haste to make her appear presentable, the court maids would pull and tug on her hair, twisting it into tight knots and pinning it to her scalp apathetically. She would begin every morning with dread and irritation, a permanent, regal smile plastered on her face as she floated from each repetitive, dull day to the next. Elegance, obedience, reputation, perfection. That was what was expected of her there.

It was nothing like how she felt in this moment with Taehyung. His touch was soft and loving, like every strand of her hair was precious silk. And though he was inexperienced and struggling, she remained perfectly content in his hands, trusting him completely. The court maids would faint if they saw her posture now – comfortable and leaning so far back into Taehyung's touch that she was practically on his lap. In the palace, each morning felt tortuously long, but she wished this morning would never end.

But it did end eventually, as all good things must.

After several laughter and struggle filled moments, Taehyung and Chaeyoung reluctantly made their way back to the main camp in Gaegyeong. They barely spoke a word on the peaceful journey there, basking in each other's presence for one last time. Cherishing the moment as if they may not be given another.

The camp was bustling with soldiers by the time they reached it. A large group of them had already lined up in front of the tents with their horses, steel armour covering them from head to toe and their belts filled with brand new weapons. Lisa was handing out loafs of bread to each of them while Jimin drilled them with the final battle formations. Yoongi and Jisoo were shockingly doing nothing and standing by idly as Jungkook led an exercise group in the far corner of the field.