Chap. 43 Daydreaming

Start from the beginning

"I-Is this real?" I softly asked as I looked around, thankful that I didn't see Cat's body on the ground nor did I have her blood smeared across my bare chest.

"Yes," she gently said. "I was coming to find you to give you an update but then I heard you screams and found your clothes... Are you alright?"

"I'm not important. Where is she? Is Cat alright?" I begged as I stood up. "I need to make sure she's okay." I made a move to walk past the nurse but she put up a hand to stop me.

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you see her yet."

"Why? What's happening?"

She bit her bottom lip and looked down for a moment before her eyes met mine again like she was trying to figure out the best way to tell me. My heart raced. "Tell me," I demanded.

She sighed and put my clothes on the pew next to me. "We're kind of stuck," she said. "The bullet is in a very critical place; one wrong movement and the bullet could make her colon burst. The bullet also somehow broke up when it entered her, and that's making it hard as well. The doctors believe they can get them out but they have to be extremely careful and precise."

"Oh my God," I whispered, my voice shaking as a strangled sob escaped my lips.

"I know it's not what you want to hear right now, but it's the unfortunate truth. But I can assure you that we're doing our best," she tried to soothe. "But on the bright side, your buddy Mason is awake now. He's not very communicative but he's awake. He'd already had a concussion from some previous altercation so when David hit him...well his concussion is worse but he'll survive, he just needs to be under close supervision for a while. We also managed to stop some internal bleeding he was having. He must've moved a certain way that disturbed the previous doctor's work and reopened his wound. Luckily we caught it and cleaned it up or else he could've very well gotten an infection." Though I was happy for Mason, I couldn't help but be jealous of him and Liam. Once again, Mason was okay while Cat...

I shook the thought out of my head. None of this was anyone's fault.

But mine.

That bullet was meant for me.

The nurse put her hand on my shoulder and pulled me from my thoughts. "Go spend time with your friend. He really needs it. And put your faith in Him," she said, using her head to motion to the crucifix that was on the wall.

"I don't know if I can," I honestly confessed.

"Then try harder. And if you can't, put your faith in us."

I don't know if I can do that either. Your clan is the reason we're here I thought in my head, but didn't say out loud. Instead I merely nodded and picked up my clothes before I allowed her to lead me to Mason's room. When I walked in, Liam was standing over Mason and dabbing his forehead with a cool cloth. The knot on his head looked even more painful than it had earlier and his skin was sickly pale.

Liam noticed me and stopped what he was doing. "River," he softly said, causing Mason to slowly crack open an eye.

"It took you long enough," he joked with a rough voice and a chuckle before he winced in pain.

"Don't do that, babe," Liam gently chastised with a slight chuckle before he kissed Mason's forehead.

"Don't you babe me," Mason whined, his voice drawn out and slurred as he spoke.

"We just came to not too long ago. You need to make sure he doesn't fall asleep, alright? The doctors still want to have a look at him."

I nodded before she left and I slowly approached Mason. "Hey, Mas," I softly said.

"Hi River," he said as he closed his eyes. I opened my mouth to say something but he cut me off. "I'm not going to sleep. It's just too bright in here and it hurts my head. Plus, Liam won't let me go to sleep anyway." He stuck his bottom lip out in a pout causing Liam to roll his eyes.

"How is Cat?" Liam softly asked. "They haven't told us anything, just you and that sick bastard."

At David's name my jaw clenched. "She's in a really bad place," I softly said, my heart dropping as I spoke. "The bullet's broken up inside her, one piece can burst her colon and the others can cause major infections. They said they're trying their best but..." I trailed as I looked at my ring and bit my bottom lip to keep my tears at bay. "Guys, I don't know what to do. I'm so scared and I-I don't want to lose her, I can't because I don't know what I'll do-"

"River, don't do that to yourself," Liam said in a soft voice.

"It's not anyone's fault just...just have a little faith," Mason advised.

"Don't do that!" I snapped. "You two have each other. You two...you always have each other. Mason is always alright and Liam, you always get to be by his side while I get nothing but fear and hatred a-and pain and sadness and I hate you for it!" My the end I was breathing heavily and tears were rolling down my face. I fell to my knees and buried my head in my hands. "I hate myself for it."

After a few seconds, I felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump before Liam's voice said, "It's alright, River. Let it all out, we know you don't mean it."

So instead of trying to convey how I felt through words, I merely wrapped my arms around him and sobbed into him chest, screaming and cursing until I had nothing left to cry.

***
Hey y'all, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if so, please make sure to comment and vote! Would did y'all think about this chapter? My heart is honestly breaking for my boys, especially Mason because it seems like he's always almost dying (but who knows, one of these chapters I might actually follow through and kill him *evil laughs as I rub my hands together).

Anyway, if you guys don't know, my book The Broken Vow of Silence (formerly know as My Broken Mute Mate) is being published THIS MONTH! It's so exciting and I'm honestly really nervous, but I'd love it if you guys went to my new website http://bit.ly/JordanTaylorWEB and voted on a book cover for the book that you like. I'll attach the link to my website in an in-line comment here ->

If you want more information about the publication, check out the last 3 updates on either "The Broken Vow of Silence" or "My Broken Mute Mate" for more information. I'm so excited, and I have so much more planned in terms of writing, and I hope you guys stay on this journey with me and consider buying the book when it's out.

Well that's all for now...oh wait, don't forget that the next chapter is already available on Inkitt so if you can't wait to see what happens next, click the link in my profile bio and check it out!

Love y'all- Jordan