Chapter Twelve: The Murder Weapon

Sam was the first to walk into the room and pick a cot to lay down on. June activated her wrist computer and tried to call her mother while Rufus grabbed his tooth brush from his bag and left to use the bathroom.

Reegan and Toido left the room to have a heated discussion.

"We need to figure out where we are Toido," Reegan said but Toido shrugged.

"It looks like we are underground. If I could see the stars then I think we could figure out our location. We need to know how to get outside first," Reegan said and walked away for a moment to think. He looked down the hall to see if there were any guards posted.

"I think everybody's at that staff meeting," Reegan whispered.

"Let's go for a quick walk and see if we can find a way outside," Reegan convinced toido to look around with him and they left down the hallway.

Sam sat on his cot and thought about everything that had happened. He extended his claws and thought about it not paying much attention to anything else mostly because he was tired. He soon fell asleep on his cot.

June was too upset to fall asleep, after several attempts to contact her mother or anyone that would listen. And to make matters worse June could not access any news networks to hear about what was going on with the attack.

"I can't get a signal I think it's broken," June said to Sam, But when she turned to look at him she noticed he had fallen asleep.

"Sam I need to call my Mom!" She yelled but Sam would not wake up.

June looked at her uncomfortable cot and the cold grey walls of the room. She did not think she could sleep in such a place. She decided to continue trying to reach her mother. June stepped outside of the room to see if there was a better signal down the hall.

Some time later Rufus had finished in the bathroom taking a long shower and brushing his teeth. He passed by Reegan and Toido down the hall before he entered the room. He was expecting to see June and Sam on their cots and having an opportunity to catch some shut eye. But was alarmed to see that June was missing.

"Wake up Samuel! Wake up!" Rufus shook Sam.

"What's going on?" Sam awoke and gave a groggy reply to Rufus. He could see Rufus was wearing his pyjamas and ready for bed. But Rufus had a very worried expression on his face. "You wouldn't happen to know where Juniper is?" He asked. Sam shrugged and wiped his eyes then yawned and stretched. "Maybe she went with Reegan and Toido?"

Rufus became much more worried as Sam jumped off his cot and looked underneath June's Cot.

"I just ran into Reegan and Toido in the hall and Juniper was not with them!" Rufus stated.

"She must've run off, we better look for her!" Sam said. 

As they left to go searching for her. Sam could see that the hallways were still empty.

"Maybe she's in the girls bathroom?" Sam asked Rufus.

"I don't believe they have one here," He replied.

They walked back towards the way they came, it was much darker now. When they reached the window at the viewing area they saw star light beaming through the window and June standing within it crying.

"I can't call my Mom there's no signal here. Not even by this window!" June said.

"You must not run off like this. We don't know where we are Juniper. It could be dangerous!" Rufus scolded June because she had scared him. But Rufus scolding her did not help much and June continued to cry.