Chapter 9

"Here we stand
Worlds apart
Hearts broken in two, two, two
Sleepless nights
Losing ground
I'm reaching for you, you, you
"

Batman unbuckled his belt from across his chest and jumped out of the car. He adjusted his cowl, it felt a bit tight tonight.

As he headed toward the bank, keeping to the dark shadows that the broken street lamps created, he saw a dark figure jump down from a ledge above him.

"I can't even see your face and I still know somethings bothering you, "a brusque voice observed.

"Are you here to analyze me or help me to catch the thieves, Nightwing?"

"I'm here to be a friend and to help with whatever you need. We have known each other a long time. I can tell when something is weighing on your mind."

"I'm fine."

"And there it is," Nightwing paused. "The famous lie," He said with a snark.

Batman shook his head. "The bad guys are getting away."

***

"Alfred, wait in the car. I won't be long." Bruce nodded at the older man and then closed the door to the car. He glanced up at the apartment building while rubbing his palm across the lower part of his face. He let out a long, heavy breath and walked up the stoop until he reached the intercom. He scanned the list of tenants until he saw the name he was looking for, West. He pushed the buzzer.

"Yes?"

"Wally, it's Bruce."

"Bruce? What are you doing here...oh never mind. Come on up."

Bruce heard the light buzz that released the door lock. He pushed open the door and steadily walked up the three flights of stairs to the apartment. When he arrived on the third floor Wally was standing in the hall waiting for him.

"What took you so long?" He joked, awkwardly trying to cut the obvious tension.

"Wally, I need to talk to you about Aero." He paused sadly. "I mean Preston."

When he heard her name, Wally stiffened, and a dark scowl appeared on his face. He held out his arm and motioned toward the inside of his apartment. He followed Bruce inside. They both stood looking at each other until Bruce spoke up. "You should sit down."

"It's my house you can't tell me what to do here." Wally snapped at him. "I don't feel like sitting."

"Suit yourself." Bruce took a deep breath and a seat on Wally's couch. "I honestly don't know where to start, except to say don't blame Preston."

Wally looked at him expressionless.

"I know you were mad that she left. Especially because she didn't say goodbye."

"How do you know that?" Wally asked sharply. He glared at Bruce, his eyes almost boring through him.

"Because I am the one who wouldn't let her say goodbye to anyone, especially you."

Wally sat down quickly, almost as if he was given a swift kick in the gut and he couldn't hold himself up anymore. He glared at Bruce, furious. "Why was that your decision to make?"

"Because I planned the op."

Wally looked confused.

"She was gone on a secret operation that J'onn and I had been planning for months. We sent her when we did because we had no other choice, or so we thought at the time. She went undercover on the op." Bruce stood up. He didn't want to feel comfortable right now, he didn't deserve to. "Damnit I never expected it to last as long as it did. And I never expected her to go through what she did," his voice got low and brittle. "And it's all my fault. That's why you can't blame her. She stuck with it because I asked her to." Bruce was pacing now. When he got back to standing in front of Wally he stopped and crouched down to look at him. He started talking again quietly and slower. "You know her, Wally, she tries to make everyone happy, especially me and I knew that and took advantage of it. But Wally, what she went through...I will never forgive myself," he whispered.

Wally's attention was solely on Bruce now as he asked, voice thick with concern. "What do you mean?"

Bruce grasped to get his voice back. "You need to talk to her. I know when you saw her a few days ago, you just left and didn't. Wally you need to. She needs you right now. She went through things I couldn't even imagine. It changed her."
He stood up and placed his hand on Wally's shoulder. "Please go to her."

Wally was shaking his head in disbelief. "I don't understand."

Bruce looked down at him. "Go to her."