Chapter Ten: Tiya

Start from the beginning

"Candillice," a faint whisper could be heard calling her name, It sounded like the voice of a little girl. She turned around but could not see who had just whispered her name.

"Is somebody here?" She asked and the faint whisper replied.

"Gift for you, Open your hands" 

Candillice decided to listen and follow the instructions of whoever it was that was whispering to her. She opened her hands, they became very warm and to her surprise a glow appeared between them. In an instant she saw what appeared to be a sword in her hands.

"Amazing!" Candillice exclaimed as she examined this remarkable gift. It was an incredible looking weapon that reminded her of the sword her mother had, fit for a Queen. She proceeded to swing it around as she knew a few techniques that had been taught to her in training. Candillice was smiling but then the voice that whispered came again only this time it was much louder and filled with alarm.

"Look above you!" The voice warned. 

Candillice shifted her attention from the blade and lifted her head upward. She had not noticed before or perhaps it was well hidden in the vines.

A pair of large red eyes stared down at her from the ceiling.

"A Grotesque!" 

Candillice jumped and lifted her sword in the air towards the beast. Slowly the beast crept from behind the vines and Candillice could see it was large and vile. Its skin was a blackish green and very oily. The beast had four large muscular arms, Its ears were long and pointy and Its mouth had many sharp teeth. It was clear that this was going to be a formidable foe and the Grotesque beast now blocked the only path of escape if she did choose to run. Candillice was fearful yet the hatred she felt towards the Grotesques and the sword in her hands bolstered her courage.

The beast growled and lunged at Candillice, It grabbed her and she was thrown out of the window. She found herself outside hanging onto the vines.

But she was not injured and climbed back up to the window ready to strike back. This was when she realized the Grotesque was not attacking her. Its mouth was over the little statue and it looked to Candillice like it was draining the Spirit's energy.

"Your fight is with me you hideous monster!" Candillice yelled and then jumped on its back. The beast growled and tried to shake her off but Candillice dug her claws in deep. It tried to grab her again but she slashed at its hands with each attempt. Candillice attempted to stab the Grotesque in the back but its skin was too oily and thick. The way it tossed and turned made it difficult to achieve more than a small gash. The beasts turned its attention to the statue once more and had its mouth wide open as if to swallow the statue. This was when Candillice jumped and flipped in the air landing in front of the beast.

"You won't ignore me so easily!" Candillice yelled as she swung her sword as hard as she could into the massive creature's lower left incisor. The enormous Grotesque screamed out an incredibly loud and horrible howl that quite possibly shook the entire castle.

When Candillice removed the blade from the beast mouth the tooth that she had struck shattered leaving a cracked half of a tooth. This caused the Grotesque so much pain he fled down the stairs bursting down the door to the Temple. This large Grotesques let out another screaming howl. The council members were alarmed by the sight of this the largest and most hideous Grotesque they had ever seen. Some of them jumped up the walls and others hid under their chairs.

The Queen remained on her throne but was startled as the beast ran to the balcony and jumped off of it.

TyrAnna with her royal guards and the council all ran to the Temple stairs. But a breeze came rushing from the top of the stairs toward them and this prevented them from reaching Candillice.