[10]

The loud music blaring throughout the entire house gets on my nerves right away

There are too many dancing, screaming, drunk kids all around.

I’m miserable.

And so is Lydia Martin, who is busy scolding some random chick for setting her wine glass on top of the white mantle. The house is pretty, sure, but Lydia should have considered that there would be some damage done when she invited the entire school over.

Unless she didn’t think there was going to be a party.

Liam is nowhere to be found, and Mason and I have searched the entire downstairs twice.

This was some sort of trick, I know it.

“Maybe we should check upstairs,” Mason suggests. I agree, but don’t think it’ll do us any good.

We travel up there, calling for Liam every couple of seconds… to no avail. Each and every step is another stone sitting on my brain.

I didn’t realize how freaking exhausted I am until now. I just want to lay down and sleep somewhere. Wait, no, I want cry first. Then sleep.

But now Liam is MIA and I just know that Scott has kidnapped him again and Liam’s probably terrified but I can’t do anything while I’m stuck here at a party with a ton of dumb teenagers who ordered a keg of beer and are blasting this music so loud it’s probably going to burst the eardrums of everyone in a three mile radius and--

“Sunny, you okay?”

I blink at him, disoriented. “Yeah, I’m fine…” Okay, I feel like I’m rocking. Shoot. “Nevermind.”

Mason grabs a hold of me before I can completely collapse. We make our way into an abandoned room, where Mason helps me onto an armchair.

“Was there some sort of chemical released in the hospital while you and Liam were there or--?”

“No, I just got home really late. I didn’t get a lot of sleep after, you know, all that. I’m sorry,” I rub my eyes, embarrassed that I’m getting so choked up. “I’m probably just overtired. Don’t worry about it.”

“What are you two doing up here? The party’s downstairs,” Lydia bursts in, looking rather annoyed.

I try to stand up but Mason shoves me back down and holds out a hand as if to say ‘let me handle this.’

“Uh-- we’re looking for Liam.”

“I’m sorry but missing freshmen are a little low on my priority list,” she growls, moving to grab a couple wine glasses that some other ignorant jerk left for her.

“Well, not so low that you don’t know he’s a freshman?” Mason counters, making a good point.

Lydia sighs, “I might have seen your friend downstairs.”