Chapter 26

Sorry it's been so long. I've been working on this in all of my spare time. Hope you like it. Thanks for reading.

You'll figure out the pic as you read the story.

*******************************************************************************************************************

DREW

My left hand was steering the wheel of my car as I drove to the Martin house. My right hand was resting comfortably inside Emily's hand. She sat beside me, slightly tense.

"Why so nervous?" I asked her.

"Do you think they'll be able to tell?" she asked.

I turned to look at her for a split second, then quickly looked back at the road. The fingernail of her second finger on her free hand was perched between her front teeth, as if she was about to chew it, her right leg bouncing up and down ever so slightly. She was defnitely nervous.

"Be able to tell what?" I asked.

"About us," she said. "I mean, do you think they'll notice that we're acting differently toward each other?"

I smiled.

"I don't think they'll notice much. I mean, your brother, Justin, could tell before I did that I was totally into you," I said.

Her hand squeezed mine.

"Really?" she asked.

"Mmm hmm," I said. "He even texted me the other night to ask if you were the one I was in love with."

"No way!" she said, letting out a short, quiet laugh.

"He's a pretty smart kid, just like his sister Emily."

"He is pretty smart."

"My point is, if I was into you during the other few dinners we've had, I'll still be acting the same."

She sighed, then spoke. "That means I'll have to be careful not to act differently."

"I think we'll be okay," I said, squeezing her hand supportively. "If not, we'll just start making out in front of them and tell them to deal with it."

We arrived a few moments later, getting out of the car and walking up to the door. We weren't holding hands, but we stood so our shoulders touched. I couldn't wait for the day we could freely stand on this porch, making out as we said goodbye at the end of a date.

I knew she was worried about Ellie's feelings, but I honestly didn't think it would be all that bad. What were they going to do? Banish her? She'd be eighteen in a few months, and she could do what she wanted. If they refused to pay for college, I'm sure my parents would help her out. They loved her.

I was pulled out if my thoughts when the door opened, with Justin and Jeffy awaiting happily on the other side.

"Emmy!" Jeffy ran out into the porch, wrapping his arms around Em's waist. "I missed you!"

"I missed you, too, Squirt!" Em said loudly.

Justin smiled at me, then looked over to Em. Looking back at me, he raised and lowered his eyebrows suggestively. The only thing missing were the words "Hubba Hubba." He was comical. I lunged toward him, ruffling his hair before he retreated further into the house, laughing. As I chased him around the corner that led to the dining room, I ran right smack into Ellie.

"Watch where you're going!" she screamed at both Justin and me.

"Sorry," I said, looking up at her.