Chapter 5

Sorry it took so long to update!  Trying to write 2 stories at once is a pain!  I want this one to be good, so it's taking a bit longer than expected.  I also know I said that this was the chapter where Drew's mom would ask Em a favor, but I want to post today, and that will take awhile to write.  I promise that will take place in Chapter 6.  I know it's not much, but I hope those of you who are following this story like it.

The pic on right is Robert Sheehan as Adam.  I'm working on figuring out who should play the other characters.  Any ideas for Em and Ellie? 

*****************************************************************************************************************

EMILY

After Drew went back inside, Adam sat down on the top step of the porch.

"That idiot needs to leave you alone," Adam grumbled.

"Listen, I'll be the first one to agree he's an idiot, but he was only trying to be nice," I explained. I hated the guy more than anyone, yet I believed in giving credit where credit was due. Drew wasn't heartless, and I could admit that.

"You're just mad because you're smitten with his girlfriend," I teased.

Adam laughed. "Smitten? Are you from the nineteenth century or something?"

"Maybe I am, but you still loooove her," I added.

Adam shook his head. "It doesn't matter how I feel. I'm just a joke to her. I need to get over her."

I made some soothing noises. He was right. Ellie valued all the wrong things in life, and Adam, with his spiked brown hair and dark rimmed glasses, was not one of her concerns. She loved that she could add another admirer to her list, but that was about it. I know she had Drew, so she wouldn't have dated Adam anyway, but she could have been nicer to him. My heart ached for him, but I knew he'd find his Ms. Right someday.

As I was wallowing in my pity for Adam, Drew came bustling out the door. Adam stood up, coming over to get Mitzy's leash. "It's about time that I take the old girl over for her last night on God's green Earth," he said, reaching toward the green leash in my outstretched hand.

"Stop!" Drew shouted, making us both turn and glare at him.

"What?" we both said in unison, annoyed.

"I'll take her," he said.

I kept staring, not able to comprehend what he said.

Adam, on the other hand, replied, "What does it matter where she spends her last night?"

Drew rolled his eyes, which would have amused me had I known where this exchange was headed. Adam could be a first class dork sometimes.

"Well, I hope she'll spend it at my house. I kind of hope it's a few years down the road, though. This old girl looks like she's got some spunk left in her still."

He walked over to me, and took the leash out of my hand. "You can stop staring at me like that, Martin," he said to me, using my last name as usual. He very rarely spoke to me, and usually he chose to call me 'Martin.' I felt like this was his way of further distinguishing my perfect sister from me, the fat and ugly duckling.

"Sorry," I mumbled, still puzzled by what was going on.

"I'm taking her home, Martin," he explained. "I'll adopt her tomorrow. I don't want her to be put down."

What was he saying? He was saving her? My poor Mitzy? Oh. I stood up, handing him the leash. Before I realized what my body was doing, I had wrapped my arms around him in a tight hug.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou," I squealed. "You don't know what this means to me. You're wonderful." I turned my head, and kissed him on the cheek.

As I pulled away, I saw him blushing. Whoa. He was so cool, calm, and collected. This guy never blushed. I didn't think too much about it. My Mitzy was saved! Even if I had to relinquish some of my hatred toward Drew, it was worth it if Mitzy didn't die.

More composed this time, I managed a, "Um, sorry 'bout the outburst. I am just ecstatic that she's going to be okay."

Drew smiled, touching his cheek where I'd kissed him. His eyes sparkled when he replied, "You're welcome. I really couldn't sleep tonight knowing that I could have saved her and didn't. Just bring the papers over tomorrow and my mom will sign them. Oh yeah, I'm supposed to tell you she wants to talk to you about something anyway."

I smiled. "Okay. I'll be over after church," I said.

As he walked down the steps with Mitzy, Ellie came charging out the door.

"Drew," she spat, "where do you think you're going with that mutt?"

"She's a greyhound, not a mutt," he corrected.

"Whatever," she huffed. I smiled.

"I'm adopting her," I heard him say.

After that, I stopped listening, and turned my attention back to Adam. He was focused on the Drew / Ellie spat.

"Don't get your hopes up, Romeo," I reminded. "They do this all the time, and they always stay together."

He sighed. "I know," he admitted, "but a guy can hope. And what was with the fanfare, hugging him like that?"

"I just got carried away. He saved her, Adam. That's gotta count for something," I stated.

"Okay. One hug, one peck on the cheek, but that's it. Understand?" he asked.

I laughed. "Yessir!"

"Okay. The last thing I need is for you to go all 'The Grinch Who Stole Christmas' on me and have your small, icy heart for Drew grow all big and warm and loving," he exclaimed.

"The ice has melted some, but there's still plenty of contempt left," I assured him.

He looked at me. "Why do you hate him so much anyway? I've always just fed into it because I hate him, but I can't remember where your ill will toward him originated," he said.

"I don't like to talk about it," I explained. "It makes me feel stupid, childish, and immature."

"Okay. Another day, then. I've got to go see how Jen and the cat are getting along."

I laughed. "Goodnight," I said, as he walked across the yard, past the feuding couple.

A few minutes later, Ellie came pounding up the porch stairs. She stopped to glare at me. "You and your stupid dog!" she shouted, then stomped into the house.

I shrugged, stood up, then walked inside. I really hoped my parents were in their bedroom for the night. I didn't feel like talking to anyone that would bring me down. I was happy at how things had worked out, even if Drew Rangle was the hero in this story. I could rest easy knowing that Mitzy could live out the rest of her life in peace.

DREW

I felt like I was Charlie Brown, and everyone in the kitchen was talking like the adults did in the cartoons. I couldn't take it anymore. Elle was whining about dog fur, but Great Danes hardly had any fur. She was so clueless when it came to animals.

Now that it was on my mind, I remembered how fascinated Em was with my cat when we were kids. She and Elise would often make toys from their craft supplies, and run around the house getting the cat to chase it. Elise would tire of it quickly, but Em would play and play, enjoying every moment. I used to think that she was kind of weird for having so much fun with a cat. Knowing what I know now, I guess it made sense.

"I'll see you guys," I said to them, offering no explanation on my abrupt exit, then left out of the back door. I seemed to confuse Adam and Em when I came out asking to take the dog, but they figured it out soon enough. Once they did, Em went crazy. She was so happy, she hugged me. I'm pretty sure she hadn't meant to do that. After all, she shot me death glares on a regular basis. Now, here she was, though, squeezing me tight. She wasn't a small girl by any means, and her hug felt.......warm and inviting. Then, she completely caught me off guard by kissing me on the cheek! I was in shock for a minute, and I'm pretty sure I blushed. It wasn't everyday that my sworn enemy felt the need to go all soft and fuzzy on me. It was jarring and comforting all wrapped into one.

My cheek felt funny, and I couldn't help but touch it as I discussed with Em her visit to my house the next day. I knew that shelter dogs had to be adopted through the proper channels, and that I couldn't do that on my own, being seventeen and all. Plus, my mom had been bugging me to have Em come talk to her. I really had no idea why, but I figured it might have something to do with Elise. I was planning on having Ellie relay the message, since Em wasn't usually willing to converse with me, but this way I didn't have to.

I reached out to take the dog from her, then hurricane Ellie appeared. She was furious with me once she discovered I was adopting Mitzy. I walked down the stairs and further into the yard, away from Em and Adam. Mitzy looked up at me, confused. I just hoped Ellie's outburst wasn't scaring her. After all, she'd had a rough go of it lately.

"I'm not going to want to come over if you take her home," she pouted. I knew this was an exaggeration. Ellie loved to be a drama queen.

"Well, that's your loss. I guess we'll have to spend all of our time over here, then," I taunted. "We'll get a lot of cuddling done with your family around."

Ellie huffed. "Well, maybe you could just keep her away from me when I'm there."

I held back a grin. I knew how to push Ellie's buttons. "Yeah, we could arrange that," I admitted.

Just then, Adam walked by, glaring at me. What was with the revenge of the nerds theme? First, Em hated me, now Adam. At least adopting the dog had given me points with Em. I'm not sure how I could make this dude happy. Well, I certainly wasn't trying tonight. I bent down, and gave Ellie a quick kiss goodnight.

I walked to my car, opening the door and ushering Mitzy into the back seat. She went in with a little coaxing. I then sat down in the driver's seat, started my car, waved to Ellie, and drove away. My mom and dad would probably not be thrilled that I didn't ask them first if I could adopt Mitzy, but when I told them the story, I was sure they would be fine with it. After all, they loved Em, and would be more than happy that adopting Mitzy had made Em's week.

I looked back at Mitzy and patted her head. "Good girl," I said. I was happy to have a pet again. My cat had died during my freshman year of high school, and we'd never gotten another pet to fill that hole. Now we'd have Mitzy to do that for us. I couldn't wait.

ELIZABETH

How mad was I? My bleeding heart of a sister brings home a dog to spare its life, and my boyfriend ends up taking it home. Why would he do such a thing? I mean, I know it's not that big of a deal, but I'm mad. He never asked me what I thought. He walked out of the kitchen without even asking me what he should do. What boyfriend does that?

When he said that I would have to stay out of his house, I freaked. I would forever be a virgin if we couldn't spend time at his house. His parents trusted us, and didn't breathe down our necks. In my house, everyone seemed to be tripping over everyone else all of the time. I'm pretty sure they'd notice us if we decided to go at it in my house.  No, it was good that we'd come to a truce about the dog. 

After settling things with Drew, I let him take his new pet home.  I walked up the porch steps, making sure to let Em know that I was not very happy with her.  I walked into the house and down the stairs to the family room.  I turned on TV and stared at it blankly, trying to calm myself down.  Sometimes I was extremely happy that I had a twin sister, other times I wished I'd been born an only child.  Today was a day that I wished she didn't exist.  Ugh. 

*******************************************************************************************************************

I hope you liked it.  Don't forget to vote and/or comment.  I love hearing what everyone thinks.  Please please please tell me what you predict will happen in this story.  I already have it planned out, but I still love to hear what you think.  Love ya!