Chapter Eighteen

Arnav came downstairs, following behind Khushi, into the dining room. Nayan was already seated and he had Arnav sit beside him. Khushi helped her mother lay everything down on the table, and then the two ladies sat down. They all dug right in, Arnav and Nayan chatting away about business.

Breakfast was soon complete and just as Khushi was about to help her mother clean everything up, a shrieking filled the air.

"...iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!"

Khushi turned around and was immediately tackled with a hug by none other than her cousin Payal.

Sumitra placed her palm on her forehead. "Hai DM- honesty Payal, I thought it was a banshee or something that had entered."

Payal poked her head over Khushi's shoulder. "I'll pretend that you didn't say that," and she turned her attention back to Khushi. "You're back!"

"And you're still attacking me," Khushi chuckled.

"Oh hush it you," and she hugged her again, the two rocking back and forth on their feet.

Arnav watched them curiously, trying to remember where he had heard her name before. In a matter of seconds it came to him, remembering that Payal was Khushi's cousin, as well as her best friend.

Nayan chuckled beside him, turning Arnav's attention to him. "These two will never change, honestly. I thought that with age they'd calm, but they got even crazier," he chuckled.

"I'll say," Sumitra said.

"Instead of just smothering Khushi, say hello to your jeejaji," Nayan chuckled.

Payal let go of Khushi. "Of course Kaka, I most definitely will do that," she said, walking over to them.

She held her hand out to Arnav. "Hi, I'm Payal! And if you don't mind, I'll call you Jij instead since it sounds cooler."

Arnav grinned, shaking her hand. "Sure Payal, whatever you're comfortable with."

"You're nice and you seem cool - I think we'll get along just fine."

"Same to you," Arnav chuckled.

Arnav and Payal mingled, Nayan going to his work, Sumitra heading to the kitchen. Khushi stood to the side, letting the two get to know each other.

Suddenly Payal gasped, turning back to Khushi. "Oh my gosh, I totally forgot!" She rushed over to her, gripping her shoulders. "Guess who hooked up with who?!"

Khushi looked at Payal in confusion, but one look at Payal's expression had Khushi's jaw dropping. "Shut the fuck up!"

Arnav's eyebrows shot up in shock.

Payal shook her head like a bobblehead, grinning like a fool.

"When? How?!"

"Dude, when I heard the news, I was shook!"

"Shooketh the house!"

Again, Arnav was shocked.

"Like even though you expected it to happen one day or another, its still like duuuuudddeee!"

"I know, like we all saw it coming but like biiiihhhhhhh."

Payal nodded in agreement while making the duck face.

"It's about time, honestly."

"Honestly," and the two chuckled.

Arnav blinked. The two were continuing on with their gossip, but Arnav remained in shock. He was seeing his wife more animated than ever, and while he was happy to see her like this, he was still a little surprised. Arnav had never expected to ever hear Khushi to cuss because... well, he just didn't. She had always been so quiet and gentle, so to see her like this... he was glad.

I'm finally seeing the real Khushi.

"Ooh I know!"

Arnav snapped out of his thoughts at the sound of Payal's shrieking.

"Let's go to the high school, I'm sure Jij would love to see that."

"Um-"

"Right Jij," Payal asked, turning to him.

"Yeah... yeah I'd like that," Arnav said.

"See," Payal said, turning back to Khushi. "Now quickly go upstairs and get ready."

"But-"

"Go," she exclaimed, pushing her towards the stairs.

Khushi shook her head and headed upstairs. Arnav was about to go as well, when Payal stopped him.

"Just one moment Jij."

Arnav turned back to her. "Hmm?"

"You and Khushi... you guys aren't exactly there yet, are ya?"

Arnav looked to the side, giving Payal her answer.

"Don't stress it Jij. I'm sure it won't be long until you guys have your first kiss."

Again, Arnav's expression did the talking, and Payal gasped.

"Stahp! When? How?! Wait did you guys already-? No, I doubt that, given the way you two were behaving around each other but did you two at least...?"

Arnav looked anywhere but at her, once again giving Payal her answer.

"Oh la la, I'm gonna need the deets Jij."

"Uh... I-I'm sure your cousin can do that."

"Aww, you're blushing, that's so sweet! Tell you what, I'm gonna help you out so that by the end of this trip, both of you will be getting along even better than before."

Arnav arched his eyebrow. "Really? You'll help me to get to know her better."

"You bet."