Chapter Fourteen

Unlike last time, where the two had been awkward from their encounter, this time there was none of it. At breakfast later that day, the two passed a few glances and a few soft smiles at each other - something that the whole family had noticed.

Even Abhay, who had come home early that morning. Abhay would come home now and then from his apartment and his father never said a word about it. Although he was happy that the relationship between Arnav and Khushi was going well, he was still disappointed by his middle son's behavior on that night. But Sameer felt no need to talk about it because it was pointless. Khushi was now married to Arnav and that was all that mattered, so there was no point in arguing when she was now his other son's wife.

*~*

Arnav's high school reunion was on the upcoming Saturday and Arnav decided that he would go with Khushi, due to Sheetal's persistence. Although Khushi was happy about it, she was nervous. Not because it was the first time the couple would be going out in public, but because she was afraid of what people would think of her face. There was no doubt about it, she knew people were going to judge her the moment they saw her. She just didn't know if she could tolerate being an embarrassment to Arnav.

Saturday arrived sooner than expected, and both Arnav and Khushi headed off to the reception hall where the reunion would take place. Khushi's nerves were still on edge and she didn't know how to she was going to deal with it. When the couple arrived, they went to the desk right by the entrance of the hall and received passes. While Khushi received a guest pass, Arnav received one with his name and his yearbook photo on it. Khushi had seen the photo before, several times at the house, and thought that Arnav still looked pretty much the same, only much more mature and with facial hair. One thing for sure, he was still as handsome as he was back then.

Entering the hall Khushi glanced around. There were quite a number of people around and as Khushi had expected, the moment people's eyes met her, their expressions gave away what Khushi worried about the most. 

"Hey! Arnav!" 

Both Arnav and Khushi turned to see Sheetal coming their way and Khushi felt instantly insecure. As she came closer to them, Khushi took in the sight of Sheetal's silver mini dress. It was off-the-shoulders and full sleeve, and it looked like she had wrapped herself up in silver spandex enough to show off her long legs and silver stilettos. Khushi glanced down at the red sari she wore and felt her heart pit. 

"Hey you guys! Isn't the place just looking fab?"

Khushi had to agree, it really did. The theme of the event was starlight night, stars and a crescent moon hanging down from the ceiling. They had made lamps to look like clouds, which put the perfect mood lighting for the setting.

"Does it look good," Sheetal asked nervously.

"Why wouldn't it? You were the one in charge of the decoration committee," Arnav said.

Khushi looked at Arnav and then at Sheetal. Sheetal let out a squeal and hugged Arnav, causing Khushi to feel jealous and insecure once more.

"Thanks yaar, means a lot," and she pulled back. "Now enjoy yourself and make sure Khushi doesn't get bored, okay? I'm gonna go mingle," and she left the couple to themselves.

Khushi held her hands together and looked down at the ground. Arnav glanced around and found an empty table for them to sit at and led her there. A server passed by, offering them some hors d'oeuvres, another offering drinks. As they ate, Khushi glanced around and looked at Arnav in confusion.