Chapter Five

The doctor came out and everyone looked at him.

"We're prepared to begin the surgery. However we'll need you to sign some documents."

Nayan pursed his lips and nodded. The doctor handed him the documents and a pen, and Nayan sat down to sign them. However, when he held pen in his hand, his hand shook and he felt a rush of emotions. He couldn't bring himself to sign it, and he broke down.

Sumitra went to his side and held his arm, unable to contain her emotions as well. She tried to so that she could help her husband, but she couldn't. Everyone else began to get overtaken by their emotions, except for Arnav. He stood strong, and gently took the pen from Nayan.

"I'll sign it," Arnav said softly.

Nayan blinked up at him as his tears continued to stream. He watched as Arnav signed the documents and handed them back to the doctor.

"Thank you," the doctor replied softly.

He was about to head back in to speak with his colleagues, when Nayan sopped him.

"Can I speak to her once? Before she's...."

The doctor understood his pain and doubts, so he agreed. Taking Nayan back inside the room, he took him to Khushi once he had put some scrubs on. Nayan saw Khushi laying there quietly as she stared at the ceiling, listening to the various monitors beeped. She looked at Nayan when he got closer to her and he sat down on a chair at her right side.

Nayan placed his hand on her hair and Khushi shut her eyes, a tear escaping and streaming down her cheek.

"Hush," Nayan soothed. "You'll be okay," he said softly.

Khushi simply looked at him. "I might be, but will you?"

Nayan just looked at her.

"After what happened, why would anyone want to marry me," she said, tears forming once again.

Nayan looked down. I have to tell her.

And so he did. He told Khushi of Arnav and of his proposition.

"I can't," Khushi exclaimed, turning away.

Nayan tried to convince his daughter to marry, but Khushi refused.

"Khushi-"

"No Babusa, I cannot accept to this marriage."

"But why," he asked.

"Because I can't! Look at me," she exclaimed, turning back to him.

Nayan couldn't look at her for long because he couldn't take the sight if his daughter burned. 

"But Khushi-"

"No Babusa! I don't want to hear any more of this!"

"But Khushi-"

"Why does he want to marry me? Huh? Does he feel bad for me? Because that… that marriage broke off? Or is he marrying me because no other man will ever marry me in my life and he's got pity on me?"

"Actually it's nothing like that."

Nayan and Khushi looked up at Arnav. He came in, walking over to them, and stood in front of Khushi's bed. 

"Um, I'll leave you two to talk," Nayan said, and he got up.

Before Khushi and Arnav could stop him, he left. Khushi looked at Arnav and then turned away, shutting her eyes.

Arnav walked over to her side and sat down in the chair on Khushi's left. "I'm not marrying you for those reasons."

Khushi gulped. "Then why? Why are you marrying me?"