Chapter Sixteen

With the electricity back up and running, everyone decided to call it a night. Khushi's mom had just finished with her dressings and she changed up into her nightwear. As Khushi was reentering her room, her eyes landed on Arnav. He was sitting up and leaning back in bed, laptop in hand as he checked through some emails. Khushi simply stood there in pause, taking in the fact that this was the first time a man would be sleeping her in her bed, let alone beside her in her own bed. Yes she had realized it before, but now, seeing him in her bed, was only making the matter seem more real.

"Is something wrong?"

"Huh?"

Khushi snapped out of her thoughts and saw Arnav looking at her curiously.

"Um, nothing, nothing really," and she went over to her vanity to comb her hair.

As she combed her hair, Khushi noticed in the mirror that Arnav was watching her. She felt a bit odd, but then again, this wasn't really much compared to that one night before.

"Your hair is really long," Arnav eventually said.

"Mm hmm," Khushi nodded.

"Have you always kept it long?"

Khushi timidly shook her head. "No, only after the...."

Arnav looked down and nodded in understanding. "Why," he asked softly.

"Um... well I try my best to cover up as much of it as I can. I make sure that from the back, my sari is high enough so my scars can't be visible. But as an extra measure, my long hair can cover up better."

Arnav looked at her for a moment and watched her as she opened up the wardrobe and went through it.

"Have you ever wanted to keep it this long? Before I mean, like when you were younger."

"I hated my hair with a passion when I was younger," she said, pulling out what she would be wearing tomorrow and setting it aside.

"Why is that?"

"It always annoyed me so I would always keep it up."

"Why?"

Khushi turned to him. She could see that he was really curious and really wanted to know. The way he was asking all of these questions reminded her of Maya and how their little niece loved to ask why about everything, bringing a small smile to Khushi's face. She went over to the bed and sat down on her side.

"I was a bit more active in high school - whether it was dealing with drama or just fooling around. And just... I don't know.... I used to always have my hair up in a messy bun. Of course, if I tried to do that now, it would only be hair-suicide," she chuckled.

Arnav chuckled lightly as well and he set his laptop aside on the bedside table. "Tell me more - about you before we got married."

"Um... like what," Khushi asked anxiously.

"Anything. What you did for fun, where you would go out to eat with your best friend, stuff like that. You know, like past relationships or anything."

Arnav found himself surprised by his last few words as soon as it left his mouth. Khushi's eyes widened as she looked at him in surprise too.

"Sorry, I overstepped things, I'm sorry-"

"Don't be," Khushi said softly. "You have a right to ask."

"How?"

"You're my husband."

It occurred to Khushi then that she had never really said those words out loud, not to Arnav, that was for sure. So like Arnav, when the words left her mouth, she was surprised by it. As for Arnav, he was a bit surprised too. This was the first time, after all, that Khushi had addressed him as her husband.