They hear footsteps and immediately look up to find Miss Lani looking at them with a pointed look. She offers then her hands and helps the two up. She doesn't say anything and leads the two to the front room. The children climb to the couch and flop down. She rolls her eyes at them.

“You know you're not supposed to listen in.” the woman points out. The girls look away, idly moving their bodies in small movements. The woman sighs. “I know you love her, Dinah and Lauren, but any chance to get a real family is major and everyone deserves that.” She says softly, getting the attention of the two sensitive five year olds.

“But we are a family. She is our Camzi.” Lauren says, her bottom lip jutting out in a point. Her green eyes go glossy. Kehlani makes an understanding and sympathetic look. She lifts the two girls onto her lap and wraps them in a big hug. They lean against her. She leaves two gentle kisses on their heads.

“And you're right Lo, she is, but she needs a family who will raise her and send her to school and college and support in getting a job and growing up with constant support in forms like money and clothing and a home. You'll always be a family, but sometimes you guys, all of you guys in the foster care, need more. And you guys will always be best friends, nothing can come between no matter how far you move.” Miss Lani says gently. The two girls nod slowly, trying their best to comprehend the words.

“Is Mila going with them?” Dinah asks inah wavering voice. Kehlani nods a little.

“I think so DJ, and remember-”

“It's a good thing.” Dinah responds sadly. Kehlani sighs knowing that Camila would probably stay with the couple. She knew them personally and she also knew they would be perfect for Camila, but she also knew it would rip the girls’ hearts in half.

Kehlani sees one of the few other caregivers walk in and motion. She gives her a thumbs up and gently ushers the kids off her lap. She pats their knees.

“Dinner will be ready soon, why don't guys go set up the plates and utensils?” she offers, knowing it's always the three that do it. They shrug in response, but mumble soft okays and walk off to the kitchen. The woman shakes her head and follows the other caregiver.

-

“If you could, would be it okay to let Camila stay for tonight have you guys come pick her up in the morning? She's got some really good friends she's gonna need some time with.” Kehlani requests as she's helping out fill some forms. The couple nods and smiles. The shorter one of the two takes her wife's hand.

“Of course. We don't want to rush her. We could come back at eleven tomorrow.” she suggests. Kehlani nods and smiles, finishing processing their information. She stands up and shakes their hands gently.

“Thank you so much, for giving Camila a good home,” she says sincerely, “Ally and Normani. She's a little crazy, but the kindest little thing you'll ever meet.”

“We can already see it,” Normani grins, “she's beautiful. We're going to go say goodbye to her real quick, if that's alright?” Kehlani nods and the couple walks off to the couch where Camila is patiently drawing another picture.

They talk to her and Camila nods and grins, throwing her thin arms around them, waving goodbye when they leave. She puts aside her coloring tools and skips up to Kehlani with a happy smile.

“My forever home?” she asks hopefully. The woman nods, hugging her tightly. Camila squeals with pure joy and Kehlani sets her down.

“Why don't you go help your best friends set the table, hm?” she asks. Camila nods and runs off.

As Kehlani stands their with her hands shaking a little, she knows she'll miss the little brown haired-brown eyed girl too.

-

At dinner during grace, the three girls hold each other's hands and look dien. Their hold is tighter than usual. When Mrs.Ariana, one of the other staff members, begins to end the prayer, Lauren jumps in.

“And may Camzi be safe and happy when she go to her new home and have a forever family.” She says quietly, but loud enough for the table to hear. The three women on the staff for the night smile softly.

“and have her always member us.” Dinah adds quickly. Camila squeezes her hand a little tighter as if to say yes. Kehlani ends the prayer.

“Amen.” She says gently. They all drop hands and begin the pasta. The girls, ranging from four to eight years old talk and they eat their meal. Three of them, however, poke at their food. Usually they'd love pasta, but it was not a good night.

Ariana motions to the three at the other two women. They silently agree and Ariana smiles at the girls.

“Dinah, Camila, Lauren, you may be excused if you aren't hungry, but make sure you eat something later.” Ariana says. The girls smile and nod, quickly slipping off their chairs and racing each other up to their bedroom.

Once their shut the door and are safely in the room they all sit on Camila's bed. They sit in a circle criss cross with their knees touching.

“This be your forever home?” Lauren asks, widening her eyes. Camila nods and smiles weakly.

“Miss Lani thinks so. She says they're super nice.” Camila speaks.

“oh. I'm gonna miss you Cami.” Dinah whispers with tears filling her eyes. Camila frowns and quickly hugs her. Lauren joins in and they all lay down on the bed holding each other.

For a while they just lay, Camila humming a little and the other two silent as they focus on the patterns of each other's breathing. But soon Camila gets up and crawls out. She sit so her knees in the floor and pulls out her small wooden jewelry box. The other two sit up as well, confused as to what she's doing. Camila pulls out three matching necklaces, each with a compass. One is silver, another gold and another rose gold. Camila hands Lauren the silver and Dinah the gold.

“I used my allowance. Miss Lani sayses that if we always wear these we won't lose each other.” Camila says. The girls slip them on and admire the chains. Lauren hugs Camila tightly.

“I love you.” lauren whispers. Dinah joins in, mumbling the same thing.

“I loves you too.”

-

Camila grips the plastic bag that her few belongings are in, with the red cloth of her Blossom costume peaking out. She hugs all the girls and the staff, holding on a little tighter to Miss Kehlani. She stops at her best friends and throws herself into their arms. All thre begin to cry a little, but they are reminded they are not alone with their necklaces clink against each other.

“I will member you.” Camila says, soaking in their warm hugs.

“Us too.” Dinah whispers, Lauren just nods as she had difficulty speaking with the lump in her throat. Normani takes Camila's bag and Ally takes her hand as they walk away. Camila kisses her necklace and the girls to the same.

“See you later Camzi.”

“Bye mila, I see you soon.”

“see you Lolo, DJ.”

The door closes.

And the two girls are left standing there, feeling empty and exhausted.

And so alone for the first time in a long time.