Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

He came to a stop, his eyes wide as he stared up at the crackling, burning house standing alone in the woods.

“Holy shit…” he breathed, his heart pounding.

He heard someone run up beside him and turned to see Peter, staring up at the flames as he fell to his knees. It must have been like déjà vu for him to see his old house like this, and this time Derek was in there.

Derek!” Stiles yelled, hoping and praying that maybe he wasn’t here, maybe he was somewhere else, but he knew.

He dropped the bat beside Peter and ran right towards it, trying to find the spot where the old door was and seeing an opening between the flames, the heat from the fire already making him sweat.

He yelled as he charged through it and into the inferno within.

Isaac opened the door to the car and turned back to Lydia, “Stay here, okay? Lock the doors,” he said.

She nodded and they both heard Stiles scream out Derek’s name, a sick feeling spinning in both of their stomachs as Isaac tore away. The smoke from the fire was burning his nose, the scent was heat and ash and more intense than anything he had ever dealt with.

The sight was astonishing.

He could hear the old beams creaking under the lick of the flames and all he saw was Peter knelt on the ground staring up at the blaze. If there was ever a time to believe that Peter had any humanity left, it was right then in that moment.

“Peter!” Isaac shouted over the roar of the fire. “Peter, where’s Stiles?” he asked.

Peter looked up at him, his chest pounding heavily. “He’s gone in after Derek,” he said slowly.

“And you let him? He’s human, he’ll die!” Isaac growled.

Peter got to his feet, “And Derek might already be dead,” he said.

“Then we have to help them!” Isaac said, turning on his heel to run towards the house and Peter reluctantly followed.

They ran up to the steps and Isaac could already sense Peter’s hesitation. As they ran to the doorway they were blocked by an invisible barrier and Isaac’s stomach just about dropped out.

“I don’t see it, do you see it?” he yelled, trying to shield himself from embers flying past his eyes.

“This was not your rival pack…” Peter said.

“Where’s the line!”

“It’s embedded into the wood, only Stiles can break it and he might not be able to find a weak spot until…” Peter said, trailing off at the end of the sentence.

“Stiles!” Isaac yelled, coughing and spluttering as he swallowed the toxic air.

He felt dizzy, he felt sick. Someone had made the mountain ash a part of the building, sealing it only when Derek was inside, and now he was trapped.

He was trapped in and they were trapped out. Only Stiles could break the join and they didn’t even know where to begin.

It was that moment when they heard an almighty scream tear through the air, seeming to pierce through all the other sounds around them.

Isaac and Peter locked their gaze for a moment.

“Lydia…” Peter said quietly before he turned and ran away from the house to find her.

Isaac wanted to follow but somehow he knew Peter was on their side for this and let him go, knowing that he had to wait for Stiles to get Derek out.