"Hm." Catalina's face fell and she fidgeted with the hat in her hands, pulling and pushing the pompom on top.

    "Well, I was wondering if you'd like to have lunch with me tomorrow."

    Her head shot up. "Tomorrow?"

    "Yeah, if you're free."

    "Well I—"

    "Sorry, but she promised she'd hang out with me tomorrow."

    Catalina jumped. Jae had, apparently, appeared out of thin air. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

    Philip's eyes widened, his mouth slightly agape. He seemed shocked. Not afraid nor surprised, just startled. "Oh, do you have to have permission now?"

    Jae shrugged. "She doesn't."

    "It's not good to control your girlfriend's life." The blond gave a cocky smile as he crossed his arms over his chest.

    "Oh, Cat can do what she wants, she can also talk to whomever she wants. I'm not here to stop her, I'm just her boyfriend. I'm only overprotective when I see a snake on the loose."

    Catalina could practically feel the hatred ooze from Jae's lips. He even looked jealous, the way he ran his tongue against his cheek and all but hissed. He really played the part of boyfriend well.

    Philip frowned, lips twisting in distaste. "I just want to—"

    "Stay away from Cat? Yeah, thought so." Jae pulled Catalina closer. "Well, Philip , Cat and I better get going. People might start to worry." Jae slipped his arm from her shoulder and took her hand in his, pulling her towards the cafeteria tables.

    A lump bubbled up in Catalina's chest and her breath quickened. Her cheeks felt as if they were on fire and her legs shook beneath her. Oh, the anxiety attack was coming, wasn't it?

    "Your hands are all clammy, ew." Jae grimaced and dropped her hand once he knew they were out of Philip's sight.

    "What ?" Catalina groaned. "I'm anxious, of course they are. And at least they aren't dry as fuck."

    Jae's eyebrow rose and he glared at her. "Yeah, well, it's to repel idiots."

    She gasped as she drew a hand to her chest. Catalina prepared a comeback, one that would make Jae shut his mouth.

    "There you are!"

    Catalina groaned and turned to see Madeline with a bright smile on her face. "You interrupted me!"

    Madeline wrapped her arm around Jae's and pulled him forward. "Jae and I are gonna get drinks, you go on ahead and sit, okay babe?" She waved.

    "We are?" Jae pouted his lips to the side. "When did I agree to this?"

    "Just right now." Madeline pulled his arm in a harsher motion. "Come on now, those smoothies aren't gonna buy themselves."

    With nothing more than a roll of his eyes, Jae watched Catalina walk to the tables. Had Philip been bothering her? Was she alright with him stepping in, or did that make things worse?

    "So, why smoothies?" He raised an eyebrow.

    Madeline stared at him. Her blue eyes just wide in shock. "Why not?" Her brows furrowed.

    After he blinked at Madeline a couple of times, she turned away and looked up at the menu. "You know, Cat loves mango smoothies. She adores them with a burning passion."

    "Really?" Jae mumbled, staring at the menu as well. He pulled out the worn leather wallet from his back pocket and looked down at the cash. He pulled out a fifty dollar bill and shoved the wallet back inside.

    Madeline caught sight of the bill. "'Drea likes passion fruit, Daniel loves banana and I prefer pineapple."

    "You expect me to buy drinks for everyone?" He paused. "In this economy?"

    "What ? Then why'd you pull that out?"

    Jae looked away. "It's the lowest bill I have."

    "Okay buddy, if you're so rich you can afford drinks for everyone once." Madeline's lips flattened into a straight line as she crossed her arms over her chest.

    "Fine." He rolled his eyes.

    "Oh, no ! I was just kidding. You don't actually have to buy anything." Madeline tried to pull him out of the line but he shook her off.

    "It's okay. I kind of want to."

    Madeline's eyes lit up and a smile stretched her lips. "I know what you're doing," she teased. "You don't want to make it obvious that you're getting a smoothie for Cat, so you're getting one for everyone."

    "Can't I just be nice for once without everyone thinking it's some sort of ploy?" Was he really that transparent?

    "Whatever floats your boat." Madeline's smiled widened into a brilliant grin before she pushed him towards the counter.

    "Uh, yes, can I... um..." He looked at Madeline, nodding his head towards the cashier, as if begging for help.

    Madeline stepped up and ordered without skipping a single beat.

    They managed to get to the table with the four drinks and a bag of chips Jae had indulged in.

    "A treat from our starboy," Madeline cooed.

    "Ai, gracias, mi amor. " Catalina leaned over and planted a quick kiss on his cheek.

    He couldn't look at her with his usual straight face. After he turned away, he noticed the group bickered about which drinks was theirs. It was a good thing no one noticed his burning cheeks.

    Madeline leaned towards him. She whispered in his ear, "You might just fall in love with her if you don't set boundaries, Jae."

    "Who said anything about that?" He whispered back, glaring at her.

    "Oh Jae, I can tell. I've watched too many dramas to not be oblivious to this; you like her."