Magenta

-----------------------------

Chapter Sixty-One

-Magenta-

I awoke in my bed with Kathy still sleeping next to me. I wasn't game enough to have Taylor in bed with me in my parents house, so I had sent him with Robbo into the living room to sleep on the couches.

I always woke up early at home, how could you not? Moving from my bed, I quickly grabbed an old shirt and some shorts and slipped out of the room. After a quick stop in the kitchen, I sat down on the front steps of the house and wrapped my hands around the mug of tea I'd just made and grinned. The sun was at that perfect spot on the horizon to light up the clouds just right and remind me why this was home.

"I thought I heard someone up," Mum sat down beside me.

"I've missed the views," I smiled at her and she grinned back.

"We've missed you," She replied, wrapping an arm around me as we watched the sky light up in brilliant pinks and gold. "Now, confess," Mum murmured into my hair. "Which one are you dating?" Laughing, I rolled my eyes at my mother's intuition.

"The tall, tanned blonde," I smirked, thinking of Taylor.

"Good choice," she told me, sounding impressed. "I was concerned about the one in the pink. I had hoped my grandbabies wouldn't be running around wearing all sorts of god awful things with the ignorant lot that run this town."

"Mum," I pulled back and gave her an exasperated look. "It's not pink, it's faded red."

"Uh huh, and so is my backside," She smirked back at me as I cracked a grin.

"Morning ladies," Taylor greeted as he opened the front door and stepped outside. "Wow, check out that sunrise."

"They don't make 'em much prettier," Mum agreed.

"Any place around here I could get a run in?" Taylor asked and I shrugged.

"The driveway is about one kilometre, run up and down that a few times and you'll get a good sweat going," I suggested and Mum nodded.

"Just watch out for the cows, they might get confused and think this is Spain," Mum laughed, looking at Taylor's red singlet.

"Nothing would inspire a runner like a bull chasing after him," I grinned at the thought. Taylor looked between mum and I, concerned. "It's a joke," I assured him. "The cows are in the back paddocks this time of year."

Mum soon moved off to start her day's chores and Taylor began his run, I moved over to the car and peaked in through the window. Jake was still passed out on the back seat. Robbo and Taylor had devised this great kidnapping plot, so I had left it to them to check on him during the night. Bet they didn't though. Leaving sleeping dogs where they lie, I headed inside to make another cup of tea while I waited until Taylor was done to start breakfast.

"Lucy, darling," Mum entered the kitchen, looking a little flustered about an hour later.

"Yeah, mum?" I asked, chewing my toast.

"There seems to be a confused boy in the front yard. He's wearing skate shoes, I'm assuming he belongs with you?" she asked, making me laugh.

"Where am I?" Jake asked, entering the kitchen behind my mum and stopping short when he found me at the kitchen table. "Where am I?" he asked again, the question now pointed directly at me.

"Um, Jake, this is my mum. This is my parents' house," I chewed my lip as I waited for that to sink in.

"Robbo?" He asked and I nodded. "He always did promise to get back at me for his missed opportunity with Claudia. Mind if I have a shower?" He asked, looking between my mum and I.