THIRTY-FIVE , BIGGER ISSUES

Start from the beginning

"Harper, you're such a little baby," Megan laughed. "You're no fun at all."

"Yes, I am!" Little-Harper threw the chalk down in a fit of anger. "I'm fun."

"Then do it!" Megan shoved her in the direction of the hole in the fence. "Prove me wrong. I double dare you."

  Harper scoffed, shaking her head at the childish behaviour.

"There's no way I would-" Her eyes widened as her younger self sent one last death squint before rushing past the tree and through the hole. "Dumbass!" She yelled. "Hey, mini-me, come back!"

  She knew it was a long shot, and of course, nobody heard her. Groaning, Harper took off after the little girl, going behind the tree and pushing past the little girls all watching her go through the gap, giggling madly. The brunette thanked god she was barely five foot one, putting her leg through first before squeezing through the gap in the fence.

  A small figure was already bounding off into the woods, their red coat sticking out from a mile away. Harper huffed. Why was she running away from school? Did little-her really think this was cool?

"Hey, come back!" Harper yelled, running after her. Thankfully she caught up quick since she was a good foot or so taller than the younger version of herself.

Little-Harper tripped over some roots sticking up from the leafy ground, her forehead smacking against another one just a few inches ahead. Harper winced as the small child began to wail, holding her bleeding head.

A whirring noise came from behind the brunette, making her whirl around with wide eyes. She heard the crunching- no, crushing- of leaves and sticks beneath heavy boots as two Dread Doctors came into sight. Little-Harper had seen them too, her cries growing louder as she tried to scramble up off of the floor.

"Stay," one commanded. It was the first time she had actually heard one of them talk and they sounded like robots struggling for breath but in a much more intense Darth Vader kind of way.

Little-Harper whimpered, listening as she stayed put against one of the trees. Harper saw blood trickling from the young girl's head, but that was the least of her worries. She was too busy trying not to panic at the two massive figures in front of her.

  "Empath," the other one announced.

  "Ready?"

"Twelve years too early."

Harper watched, eyes wide and horrified. If anything, she appeared more terrified than Little-Harper, because she had somewhat an idea of what was going on. The Dread Doctors knew she wouldn't become an Empath for another twelve years, or at least until she turned eighteen. Of course, they didn't know that she would be bitten at the younger age of only sixteen.

The Dread Doctors then seemed to communicate through whirs and clicks until one came towards her younger-self with a needle. Harper watched as they injected it into the little girl's neck, pulling out her blood. Little-Harper was sobbing her heart out, sucking in breaths of air.

  Harper swallowed nervously as the Dread Doctors put away the needle, turning to the other.

"Valack's offspring."

"Take pre-Empath tears."

One of the Dread Doctor's produced another needle, filled to the brim with a black substance. The other held the little girl in place as they injected it into her arm, the veins around the area immediately pulsing black. Mini-Harper began to scream in pain, the tears falling faster as she fell from their tight grips and to the forest floor where she withered, the perfect example of agony.