"Who are you?" A man uttered with an astonshed whisper. Jza gave her silent companion one last look and began the search of the room. She could hear scuffling over stone as the men scrambled to get a better view of the new arrivals. 

The princess found a circular key chain hanging on a rusty hook on the wall closest to her making her job much easier. She fiddled with the keys and began unlocking the barred doors one by one. 

"There is a mutiny among the Somerlians. Take advantage of the infighting and leave the castle immediately. To repay my debt help me and my companion flee from the castle grounds. That is all we want. We shall be most grateful," Jza replied after the pregnant pause. The too quiet room suddenly errupted with noise. There were many questions and comments thrown her way but one in particular caught her attention.

"He's one of them. He wears the enemy colours." A man with a messy black beard and overgrown hair pointed at the injured man's trousers as he got a closer look. 

Tarquin now rested against the wall furthest away from the crowd with hooded eyes. His face was covered in both blood and bandages hiding his most prominent features. There was a tenseness in the man's posture that indicated he was ready to take the crowd down if they so much as looked at them the wrong way.

"We can help you find a way out but why should we save this cur's life? He's part of the army that destroyed our homes, our families, our lives," Another older man recently released from his prison looked cross at the mere presence of the enemy.

Jza closed her eyes trying to summon the words that could convince them. She imagined begging for their lives but failed to imagine a world where she could see herself doing that. She opened her brown eyes and knew it was time. She needed to reclaim her identity back. Her shoulders unconsciously squared making her seem taller than she was. The look on her face made the crowd of men take pause and their chatter died down in anticipation.

"Because my name is Princess Jza, the thirteenth Princess, and all of you have sworn your lives to my father's throne. He gave me charge of this castle and it is your duty to obey my command," Jza voice was made of iron. She cast a look over the audience of sallow faces. The whites of their eyes were stark against the ill pallor of her complexions. 

"It is her. It is, dear saints, I would vow it on my life. I was there when she beat the commander at the arrow competition. I thought I was mistaken but it's truly her," The oldest man with a bushy white beard confirmed with a decisive shout. There were other voices agreeing with him. 

"Your Highness," The younger boy, who had approached her the only other time they met, exhaled. He fell to his knees in supplication while the others bowed. Jza blinked for longer than a heart beat in sheer relief. 

"This soldier is my captive. He is under my protection and I will not leave my prisoner behind. I have vowed it." Jza took a few steps backwards reaching Tarquin's side though she did not have the fortitude to examine his reaction.

"What is it that you propose we do? We are always so heavily guarded. Escape has been futile," The man closest who bore marks of a whip on his forearms asked her urgently. 

"The guards should have abandoned their posts by now to combat the castle's destruction. The others have been eliminated for having too much loyalty to the throne. They will be short on men but we must still maintain as much stealth as possible. 

"Our first task should be to find resources for our escape. Find all the weapons in the stores. I am certain they have a stock for the blood sports within these walls. The grainery is also at the end of the gardens so we must take our fill and lay waste to it. We shall need food for our respective journeys. Bring everything that can survive a journey. 

"Raid the stables before dawn shines upon us. All of you must take the horses back to Gordian castle. Do not take the main roads. The traitor must have pulled his men for the treachery but it would not do to get into battle right now," Jza wet her lips after her long list of instructions. Unbeknownst to her anyone who had doubted her identity was now convinced of her authenticity. 

"Reaching Goridian castle is no stroll in the park. The forest, the mountains are treacherous felling even the greatest of navigators. The roads are the only demarcation that lead the rider safely," A bald man hesitantly revealed his fears. 

"The horses will find father without instruction. It is not common knowledge but all the animals in this castle will go to the King if ordered so. There is no chance of losing your way. Be loyal to him and the animals will obey you. And that reminds me, find the pigeons! They gather near the fountain. It's best we send him a missive about your arrival," The Princess explained with a decisive nod. The plan was finally forming shape in her head to her satisfaction. 

Three of the the men who were not shackled additional to the imprisonment took the initiative to follow her immediate instructions.

"When you get there inform the king and him alone that you are following Princess Jza orders. I do not know if he still has anyone in his midst who will betray his confidence. We lost this castle because of that traitor who played a most evil farce," The only girl in the room explained. She wriggled her finger behind her back trying to regain some feeling. This particular sewing project had not left the after affects even now. 

"Why don't you join us, Your Highness. It is only natural you wish to reunite with your father as soon as possible," Another former prisoner asked her kindly while his hands were freed from his shackles. 

"I-I cannot," Jza faltered. She unconsciously took a step back with a troubled expression and her back hit the stone wall. Her throat felt so parched after her long monologue. She could feel Tarquin's gaze bearing down upon her. 

"What if he asks about your whereabouts?"

"Tell him I went back to where I came from. He will know," She was mindful of not disclosing too much in case they were captured by the enemy once again. 

"You are not going alone, your Highness. The man with you is injured enough. He will not be able to protect you if indeed he does not stab you in the back," The oldest man who spoke did not doubt the certainty of his statement. His beady eyes looked over her shoulder letting his loathing reach the so called prisoner. 

She could feel Tarquin's muscles tense in affront. She placed a hand on his uninjured shoulder as a warning and felt the tension leech from his body under her firm grip.

"Yes, we will need help for a safe passage out of the city boundaries but beyond that you are free. You have suffered enough turmoil. Then we shall part," The Princess countered. 

"My Lady, you do us grave injustice. How could we face our master with the news that we left you alone to fend yourself with a strange enemy soldier. Let the strongest of us protect you. We have already sullied ourselves for not being able to save you when we knew you were trapped in the castle by that Vile creature, Tarquin. Let us atone for our sins," The younger fair haired boy pleaded. 

"I will take your recommendations under consideration," Jza pondered for a moment, "Five, it is. Just five of you will be needed for our journey. We are not a day from my intended destination. It is too rural and nearly barren to be of much interest for the enemy. I do not foresee any trouble." 

The leftover men proceeded to argue among themselves who would have the honour to guard the Princess. It seemed like it would take a while.

"I am not so predictable after all." Jza whispered as she gazed at the group. Tarquin remained silent.