Chapter 1

I mindlessly tap the alarm button on my phone, roll over and watch the beams from the morning sun, slip beneath the curtains as they move about from the fan. The chattering of my family drifts its way up the stairs. With another yawn, I drag myself out of bed and dress for work. My suit's neatly hanging on the hook of the closet door.

The twins are at the table arguing over the color of their bowls, yet again. Having my usual breakfast of orange juice and muesli, I sit down and shake my head when they settle on the ones they both didn't want to begin with. Finishing up, I walk over to Bianca and wrap my arms around her waist, leaning in to kiss her cheek.

"What?" She startles and spins around.

"Nothing, can't I kiss my wife goodbye?" I say.

She laughs, "that's not what I meant, you took me by surprise is all. Enjoy your day," she replies, offering a bag with a sandwich and some fruit in it. I take it thankfully and kiss Matt and Olivia goodbye.

The drive to work has become mechanical. Day in, day out it's a mindless sea of metal chaos. Most people choose the subway but being cram packed like a sardine in a fast moving can, isn't for me. Somehow my half an hour trip, passes by seemingly, even if honking and cars cutting in are a regular motion.

Taking my designated car park, I climb out and make my way towards the main elevators of The New York Times Building, where my office is. I scan through the news feed on my phone as I walk—but with nothing of interest, I go to put it away. As I do, something hits me in hard in the back. Tripping, I almost follow my phone into the ground.

"Sorry buddy," a guy moving a crate apologizes for flinging a door opened suddenly. While searching around for my phone, someone approaches me.

"Here, I think this's yours," a guy with a thick British accent says, smiling at me as he extends the phone out for me to take. He flips it between his fingers, "it doesn't look damaged," he adds. First thing I notice is he's incredibly well dressed, with perfectly styled hair. Not to mention his cologne smells incredibly enticing. Snapping to my senses, I reach for the phone and take it from him. But instead of thanking him, all I can to do is stare.

"Th-thanks," I finally stammer, turn and head straight for the elevators. My face rushes with warmth and I uncomfortably readjust my tie. I glance back before the doors close and he's standing there, watching me. The elevator whirls up and I can't help but curse myself at how awkward I was—it was weird, I kind of froze up.

"Good Morning, Mr. Trent."

Mindlessly arriving at my office, I snap my head up. "Morning Monique," I reply, shooting her a quick smile. Monique's my amazing assistant. She always arrives before me and usually leaves when I do. Every day she has her charcoal black hair pulled back in a tight ponytail. She loves her heels and her bright colored glasses, tend to match her equally colorful outfits.

I work at J&C Advertising, as their Creative Director. I oversee everything in my department, from drawing boards, to which materials are used when pitching ideas to clients. Our floor is your typical office layout, cubicles fill the center and the outer edges have separate office and meeting rooms.

"Your messages for this morning; Maddison Blake wants you to call her back about the deadline for the Winter in Fall Campaign. Oh, and Mr. Cox has requested a meeting with you at 10 am," she chimes, trailing me into my office.

"Do you know what the meeting is in regard to?" I ask her, with a concerned tone.

"Nope, but it must be important because our lawyer will be attending the meeting as well," She replies. I thank her and sit down, trying to figure out why Jim would need to see me with our lawyer present. Reaching for the phone, I call Maddison—she's a very direct woman, who hates when people keep her waiting. Ms. Blake runs Flaze, a Fashion and Beauty Magazine, which is situated a few floors down. She's always changing her deadlines on short notice, but uses our services a lot, so we try our hardest to keep her happy.