You're Late

Every so often Matsumoto would take a break from her paper work and pull out the papers and work on the valentines she was making, only to stick it back into the drawer every time she thought someone was going to come into the room. One time though someone did come into her room, but it wasn't her small taicho. "The captain's meeting is over? I thought my taicho would be back by now."

"I was just about to ask where your small taicho was." Shinji came over to her desk and set a trey down on top. He then poured her a cup of tea. "I see that you're working on your valentines while you are working. Are you trying to hide the fact your not working from him?"

"No, I'm trying to prevent him from seeing the valentine I'm making him this year. I''m trying to prevent others from seeing theirs as well."

"Oh, I get one?" The man handed her the cup.

"What do you want?" The woman took the cup and leaned back. "You don't do anything unless your ordered to or you have some reason."

"You think I'm self-centered Ran-chan?" The man took a cup and sat down in the chair in front of her desk.

"No, but you are sneaky."

"Have you heard about Gin yet?" The man put the cup to his lips.

"No. Taicho promised me he would come and tell me, but obviously he isn't here." The woman leaned back, folding her arms across her chest."

"You ever notice how the two of them are so much like each other. Ever wonder about that?"

"What is there to wonder. They're each their own unique, annoying self."

"I take it you're not pleased that Hitsugaya Taicho hasn't shown up yet." The man sipped on his tea.

"No. It must be bad and he doesn't want me to know." The woman shook her head. "I'm actually expecting the worst so go ahead and tell me. I'll chew him out when he gets back."

"The news isn't bad though, so I don't know why he hasn't gotten back yet." Shinji set his glass down. "Gin's been pardoned on all crimes except acting without orders and he's been confined to a jail cell for an entire month."

Ragiku felt her eyes widen and then she shook her head again. "Then why isn't he back yet. What is that child up too? He usually doesn't do this. How long has the meeting been over."

"Well, I stopped by my division to tell Hinamori and had to listen to her rant and rave, so my entire division now knows that Gin got of light as she put it. That was an hour. I then came to see my Ran-chan and see how you were handling the news and bring you some tea from your own division. So, its been an hour to two hours since its ended."

"I'm not your Ran-chan."

"Oh come on, you were so itty bitty when we first met and so cute."

"Can it." The woman glanced up at the door and watched as her small taicho suddenly came through the door and began to head to the desk. He then stood at the desk, almost as if he was waiting for them to finish so he could tell her something. "I see you, I already know and you're late."

"Sorry..."

"What were you doing that took you so long to get back?" Rangiku shook her head at the boy.

"I went and annoyed Ichimaru."

The woman felt her jaw suddenly drop as she stared at the boy wide eyed before clamping it shut and swallowing. Shinji covered his mouth and spoke at a level so only she would hear. "Are you sure they're nothing like each other?"

The woman let out a deep sigh. "Now why would you go and go bother him?"

"I don't know."

"Well, there is an honest answer if I've ever heard one." Shinji leaned back and waved his hand.

"Honest? No, this is his answer when he doesn't want to think of one. Why taicho?"

The blond haired man turned to look at the small taicho who had folded his arms and was obviously thinking. "Ran... Rangiku, if he has to think about an answer then he honestly doesn't know."

"That's not the point. He had a reason for going and he needs to learn to think about those kinds of things or he'll get in trouble."

"I thought it would be fun."

"Oh boy." Shinji shook his head at the boy. "Now those are words that one doesn't expect from your mouth. Normally I wouldn't egg her on like this, but try again."

"I was curious."

"Well that is a more normal response from you." The woman let out a sigh of relief. "And it does explain why you went."

"So they both apparently like people watching."

"I do not!" Toshiro frowned at the man. "And I did enjoy myself."

"Taicho! I know how Gin is and he's isn't exactly enjoyable to be around, particularly when he's not talking to anyone."

"He and I talked."

Shinji turned to face the boy. "How?"

"I annoyed him with senseless chatter." Both of the older Shinigami stared at him. "What? It got him to talk for awhile. I found out certain subjects were off limits and he picked the subject to talk about."

"And what subject did Gin pick?"

"For some strange reason my hair."

Rangiku suddenly found herself burying her face into the palms of her hands. "Taicho..."

"What?"

"Gin is really not a person you want to go and annoy."

"I enjoyed it though."

Shinji watched as Rangiku peeked over the tips of her fingers and the boy, her eyes going wide. The man let out a deep sigh. "So... still denying the two are nothing like each other. The way I see it they're very similar, but your taicho is much more cheerful about things... which is saying something as they're both not normal about anything."

"I'm nothing like Gin. I'm..." The boy suddenly paused and his hand absentmindedly reached up to touch his hair as he frowned. "I have to go do something."

The boy slipped out of the room. Rangiku shook her head. "I'm hoping he doesn't go back to gelling his hair now that Gin is back."

The blond man frowned. "Rangiku... does the reason why Toshiro-kun gelled his hair in the past have anything to do with Gin?"

"A lot of people compare the two of them because they are child geniuses and they do look a lot like each other."

"So, he doesn't like being a mini version of Gin."

"He's not."

Shinji shook his head. "Matsumoto, are you sure that the kid isn't yours and Gin's?"

Rangiku suddenly let out a laugh. "I wish. That would have been a major bright spot. But no. I don't remember ever having a kid and taicho remembers dying on a plain of ice and coming to Soul Society. He's not our kid."

"Uh huh... well, I better get going."