Chapter 34 - Part 1

Cassandra's fear choked her, clawing at her throat and making it difficult to swallow. Ferris backed away from Nickolas, grinning. Tossing a last look in her direction, the man left the room.

Cassandra drew a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. They had to get out of here. She didn't know how, and she wasn't sure if it was even possible, but they had to try. Whoever these people were, that Nickolas had gotten involved with, they weren't going to let their victims live.

"Nickolas?" Her voice was small, weak whisper.

He didn't turn to look at her. His head was bowed low over his chest, and there was blood dripping from his nose. He was breathing so shallowly. What was wrong?

"Nick? Nickolas?" Tears formed in her eyes, and she struggled to keep the sound of them out of her voice. She had to remain calm and collected, quiet. The man in the room with them was doubtless just like Ferris, and they would need all their strength to escape. "Talk to me." He turned his face away.

He blamed her. The realization stung, and she blinked rapidly to keep her tears at bay. If it hadn't been for her, he never would hav been in this situation. Thinking back, she wondered how many things had happened to him as a result of her presence.

Of course, he was right to be angry with her. She was just extra weight that he had to carry around and worry about. She found herself wishing fiercely that their captors would end her life and free him of his obligation.

Rough hands took hold of her arm. The ropes, that bound her wrists, were cut, and she was free. Cassandra barely had time to register the fact before she was jerked out of her chair.

With a strangled gasp, she began to struggle, fighting against the ironlike grip. Raw fear held her tightly. There was nothing Nickolas could do to help her, and it was doubtless he would want to, besides.

"We don't have time for this." The voice was gruff and feminine. "Can you stand?"

Fingers pressed into her flesh, and Cassandra nodded weakly. What was going on? Just like that, her captor released her, moving swiftly to Nickolas's side.

"It's been a long time since I saw you last, Nickolas." The tall figure reached up and jerked off the scarf which had been covering a strikingly beautiful woman. "We don't have much time. I don't know where Granger is: Ferris didn't see fit to give me that information. I only know we have to get out of here while we have the chance." The woman jerked his head up, but there was a gentleness to her touch as she wiped the blood from his face. "I need you to promise me that you're not going to do anything stupid—as in fight me—when I set you free."

"We're not children, Julian." Nickolas's voice was almost inaudible, but Cassandra noted the way his eyes never left the woman's face.

"Perhaps, but that's never stopped you from acting like it before." Julian raised a brow. "Promise?" Nickolas nodded curtly.

A knife flashed, and there was a blur of movement. Cassandra couldn't have taken more than two breaths. She blinked in confusion, swallowing tightly. Where Nickolas had been, Julian was sitting, the rope trapping her in place.

"Nickolas!" Julian squirmed. "We don't have time for this!"

"You're right. You don't." Nickolas smiled.

"You promised." She protested.

"I lied; get used to disappointment." His voice was dry, emotionless.

"You don't understand! Without me, you'll never make it out of here." Desperation fluttered across Julian's features.

"Maybe not, but that doesn't mean I won't try." Nickolas gave the rope one last jerk. "With any luck, Granger and Ferris will rid me of the trouble you inevitably cause me."