Chapter Twenty-Seven

Începe de la început

"Really?" she asked, looking surprised.

I nodded. "But we're going to need a cover for you." I thought for a moment, "You're my cousin Melody, alright?"

"Can't I be Sonja your Russian lover?" Debby joked, putting on a Russian accent.

I shot her a glare.

"Right, Melody, got it," she threw her hands up, surrendering.

The elevator door opened as we arrived at the top floor. "We need to hurry." I urged.

When we'd finally made it to the car, we wasted no time, leaving straight away. As we drove out of the parking lot, I wondered if anyone at the event had noticed my absence or how they'd react if they realized I'd left.

"It's extremely important that you don't refer to me as Becca," I explained to Debby as we began approaching the school. "I'm known as Amanda here and if there's a slip-up, my whole identity could be uncovered."

"I get it, you've explained it to me several times, I won't mess up," she assured me, rolling her eyes at how nervous I was acting.

As we drove into the car park of the school, I could hear the sound of booming music coming from inside. Just the thought of how loud it must've been in the auditorium gave me a headache.

"What the hell is going on in there?" Debby muttered.

I shrugged in response, hoping that our school formal wouldn't sound anything like that. "We better start heading in there now since it's already started," I instructed as I opened the car door, stepping out. I smoothed out my dress nervously, dreading the walk into the building.

"How long are we going to be here for?" Debby groaned as we started walking.

"Not too long," I answered even though I wasn't sure how long this would take.

I took a huge deep breath as we approached the entrance to the building. By that point, it was clear the song being played was 'Talk Dirty' by Jason Derulo.

"Oh God," Debby groaned as she recognized the tune as well, "What the hell is going on?"

The music continued blaring and got louder and louder as we approached the auditorium. Two girls passed us, each holding what appeared to be an empty bottle of vodka as they giggled and ran into a nearby bathroom, almost falling over as they stumbled in their heels.

"Guess I won't be drinking the punch," Debby muttered, looking disgusted.

"There's no need to, we're only going to be here for a moment." I reminded her, pulling my phone out of my pocket. I still hadn't received a text back.

The auditorium doors had been left wide open revealing the glistening disco ball that hung from the ceiling and large stereo system that sat on the stage. The room was full of people dancing -putting it in the most modest term. It was mostly grinding and twerking.

"Suddenly, I really miss the agent event," Debby stared around the room looking terrified.

I ignored her and started scanning the room for my 'friends.' I spotted Tasha almost instantly due to her huge pink ball gown style dress that made her look like she'd just come out of an audition for the Good Witch in the Wizard of Oz. She was tilting her head back and forth and swaying on the dance floor.

"Woah, did fairy barbie forget her wand and tiara?" Debby asked, noticing her as well.

"Remember the plan," I muttered as I began walking over to Tasha, Debby following closely behind.

I moved through the hormonal crowd slowly like a maze as I tried to avoid physical contact with any of them. Debby appeared to have taken the same approach.