chapter 1: Francine's first day at work

The sun was out already.Everybody moved, helter-skelter-adults were rushing to work, children were leaving for school.

Francine was also on her way to work.It was her first day.She has just been recently called to bar and was fortunate to gain employment early unlike most of her mates.

Her younger sister was still in her modelling school.Her sister still plans to sing and act.Her sis was also the social butterfly in their house since Francine and her mum were reserved.

Francine entered the law firm located at ikoyi,the Ademuyiwa ND co.law chamber after alighting from the Keke napep(tricycle) that had brought her to work.She stopped at the reception office to greet Tola, the receptionist. They'd both met when Francine went for the interview.

"Good morning,Tola,"She greeted, trying to straighten the crease on her dress so as to create a good impression on her first day at work.Though she ironed it,it became rumpled from sitting in the vehicle and being squeezed in between two fat people. Nawa oh!

"Hi,you're early."Tola said after looking at the wall clock.

"Well not as much as you are."She saw Tola's eye follow her hands as she was trying to straighten her clothes. She dropped her hands feeling nervous.

"Well you are looking good,let me introduce you to your colleagues." And she started walking to the staffroom.

" So much for being early." She mused, as all the staff were here earlier.

Tola said as if reading her mind," We tend to come a bit earlier and close later when a big case is coming up."

Francine heaved a sigh of relief, so it wasn't her mistake afterall. She came 7:20 instead of 8:00 and was not expecting everyone around yet.

She was introduced to the five lawyers in the firm; Austin, Daniel,Teni, Favour and Ayoola.

The girls replied her with a stilted"how do you do?" While the guys guys greeted her cordially. Ayo even praised her beauty which she replied with a shy "Thanks."

After all the exchange of pleasantries,she was assigned to Teni to be put through about the office and law as a whole.
*

*******

One would expect Francine to get home early as she finished by four but Lagos traffic wouldn't let her. She arrived 8 pm to the aroma of food her mom prepared already set on the dining table.

As she was tired, Francine just sat on the dining without freshening up until her mom scolded her to do just that.

After the shower, she came to the living room and saw her mum still waiting for to come down so that they could eat together.

That's something about her mom,she thought. Always sacrificing things for she and her sister especially since their father's death.Her dad's relations took all his properties except the secret house they were living in now. They never knew about the secret house since her parents built it for things like romantic getaways, secret hideout ,etc. She doesn't know how they would have survived without the house because even with her mum combination of several off jobs, the income was never enough let alone with rent money needed. She wasn't even sure she and her sister would have done their tertiary education if they hadn't gained scholarship.

She,a reward for her brilliance while her sister applied for a modelling scholarship and was given with the condition of working a little with the firm that gave her scholarship when she graduates.

I know wat you are thinking, that it was that bad? Yes, life was a bit tough for these family but what pulled them together was love. While all this went on, their father's family members never for once contacted them let alone help them and that was one of the reasons why Francine choose to become a lawyer to get back all they snatched from them.

In their mom's relations, she was an only child and her parents died even before she met Francine late father accounting a bit for her little education.

She sat down when she got to the dining table and was about to start eating when her mum stopped her again. This time she couldn't stop herself from grumbling"ohhhh wat is it again this time mum?" She queried.

Her mum looked at the beautiful child she has raised and smiled"Won't you pray before we eat,my love."

OMG!! Trust her mum to go religious when Francine was famished and she rolled her eyes before she started praying.

After the prayer, Francine gushed out what happened at work while her mom listened attentively

Book suggestions: can we try again by SadetuAtiti

What do you think of all my characters?Who do you like more?

Pls comment if you like it