20: Women of the past

SIXTEEN YEARS AGO, FOUR YEARS BEFORE GWEN'S PARENTS SEPERATED

THE CAFFEINATED breaths of people catching the rush hour train sifted through the atmosphere. All those adults and schoolchildren who had burnt the midnight oil for their busy schedules were packed like sardines in the cabin. Sweat-filled bodies brushed against each other as the train swayed from side to side through the tunnels.

Katelyn was headed downtown when the lights flickered in the train and and time came to a complete standstill. As she touched up her lipstick and scanned her surroundings, she noticed that the sound of people chattering and music escaping earpieces carelessly had been drowned out by a deafening silence that sent chills down her spine.

She was being watched.

That sinister, and yet ever so familiar, warm breath caressed the back of her neck among the crowd of busied teenagers and adults.

Her sixth sense made her instinctively raise the leather handbag she was holding onto towards her chest as she shoved her way through the crowd.

What she expected truly did come her way.

Two men dressed in shadowy-black attire and facemasks were in hot pursuit, cornering her from both the cabin behind her and against the direction she was walking towards. By the time the train were to pull over at the next station, she would have been nothing but lifeless corpse-a victim of daylight murder.

Those men were undoubtedly hired hitmen by her husband to kill her. Either that, or they were just gangmember lackeys who had been instigated to put up a fight.

Katelyn didn't have much in her bag except a grappling hook watch that she had yet to try out that one of Cypress's coworkers had given them to beta test.

As soon as the train surfaced above ground and reached the next station, Katelyn hustled her way out and activated the grappling hook, thrusting herself towards an office building opposite the station. The two men were fazed as they looked for a way to catch up to her.

In the meantime, Katelyn bolted further south where there was a shortcut to her workplace that she would take on a daily basis. She was undeniably running late today, especially with those men stopping her from reaching her workplace on time.

"Oh fuck," she lamented under her breath as she noticed more figures crowding the sidewalk, leaving her with no other option than to use the grappling hook in the middle of the day. "What am I now? Spiderman?"

Her eyes darted back and forth to ensure that she wasn't being watched, before she took off from level ground and ascended the derelict building. It was still off limits for due reonstruction, but it was her only viable option for escape.

The only other way was the sewers, and she didn't want the smell of filth lingering on her clothing, especially for the important 9AM meeting that her boss had scheduled that day.