Decorating the Nursery

A/N: This takes place on October 6th, 2018 for those of you who want to keep up with the pregnancy.

30 weeks, 3 days

All of the furniture came in a week early after Tom had spoken to Motherhood's corporate office about the handsy clerk's behavior. You insisted it was fine, but Tom hated that you noticed how she was acting and he didn't. Motherhood apologized profusely and even sent you both a free bottle warmer along with your items over a week early.

You and Tom spent all of Friday night unboxing everything and left assembly and placement for Saturday, when Tom's brother's could come and help with the heavy lifting.

You were 30 weeks along now, and according to your pregnancy books, your little girl is about the size of a head of cabbage. You couldn't bend down anymore so helping Tom assemble the crib and the changing table was out of the question. You decided to organize the smaller items and start folding the clothes while Tom sat down on the floor with the crib parts.

You sat on the couch with a cup of herbal tea, watching your poor boyfriend attempt to read the directions for the crib, which you weren't even sure were in English.

"Attach point A to point L on part 7 and then turn counter clockwise until Point A is perpendicular to point E on part 3," Tom read aloud, frustration and confusion evident in his tone as he tried to find the matching parts in the pile of rubble in front of him.

"Babe, why don't we wait for Harry and your dad? Maybe they'll be able to decipher those hieroglyphics," you chuckled, making Tom look up at you with flustered cheeks. 

"No, I got this. I'm the father," Tom grumbled, shifting his gaze back to the directions, but now looking at the pictures. He turned the paper upside down, and you knew he wasn't understanding any of it.

You sipped on the tea for another half hour and Tom managed to attach one leg to the frame in that time, but you were secretly extremely happy when you heard the door open and Harry walked in with Dom in tow.

"Holy shit," Harry gasped upon seeing the state of the living room and his brother sitting among the wreckage. Brown boxes were covered by large and small pieces of the white crib and Tom was going over the directions yet again in the middle of the carpet.

"Help him, please," you pleaded jokingly, earning a frustrated glare from Tom.

Harry took a seat next to you while Dom joined Tom on the floor and took the directions from him.

"What the-" Dom whispered, making Tom nod in agreement.

"How long has he been working on this?" Harry leaned over and asked you quietly.

"About an hour," you whispered back, making him shake his head and then get up to join them on the floor.

You watched as a light bulb seemed to go off in Tom's mind when Dom started explaining the directions in different terms.

With all three boys working on the crib, it got done so much faster. It was still in two pieces when they brought it into the nursery, but that was just so they could fit it into the door.

You watched from just outside in the hallway as Tom took the power drill to attach the final two pieces together. His Canada hat was on backwards and his gray t-shirt clung to his arms tightly. You found it hard to resist just watching him with the power tools and the fact that he was setting up your daughter's nursery made it a million times worse.

"Earth to Y/N," Harry's voice pulled your gaze away from Tom in the nursery and out to the end of the hallway. "Do you want the changing table put together next or the rocking chair?"

Nikki joined you at the apartment just as the boys were finishing up the rocking chair and you both sat on the couch and watched them try to sort it all out. Her hand found a place on your stomach when you mentioned the baby was kicking and Tom was adamant that she would play football since she pretty much kicked you day and night.

After six hours and a lot of manual work by Tom, Harry, and Dom, all the big pieces of furniture were put together and set up in the nursery. You went behind them and added in the decorative things, like the sheets on the crib and the cover for the changing table, but overall, the nursery was finished.

After Harry, Nikki, and Dom left, Tom went out into the living room to clean up the garbage and take it to the dumpster outside and you decided to organize a little more in the nursery.

You had read about the "nesting" phenomenon in your pregnancy books, but you weren't prepared for how overwhelming it would be. Your mind just went into a frenzy, and everything had to be spotless and perfect for when your little girl would arrive.

The crib was set up against the accent wall, with light peach sheets and a gray, almost white, blanket hanging over the side of the thick, white bars. The changing table was settle between the two windows, the white wood finish contrasting well with the soft coral colored changing pad on the top. A light gray rocking char was nestled in the corner of the room and you could just imagine sitting there for the countless late night feedings that are bound to happen after she is born.

You spent well over an hour putting things in their exact right spot within the nursery and then you realized that you were starving. You hadn't eaten in almost two hours and your mind switched gears from nesting to chocolate and pickles.

After folding all the clothes and putting them away, you walked back out into the living room to find Tom on the couch, passed out with Tess in his arms. His hat had all but fallen off his head and his mouth was parted slightly as breathy sounds escaped them. Poor thing was exhausted. You chuckled and threw a blanket over him before grabbing an entire jar of pickles and retreating to your bedroom to watch TV and not wake him up.