Your Water Breaks & Labor

This takes place December 7, 2018 for those of you who want to keep up with the pregnancy.

39 weeks, 2 days

1 week. You were 1 week away from meeting your little girl, assuming that she came on time. Tom was becoming more and more nervous as the due date continued to move closer, but you were calm. You had grown so much over the last nine months and you were so ready to meet her that any nervousness was clouded by the pure 'want'.

It seemed like a millennia ago since you sat at the dinner table and told Tom you were pregnant and your new family was so close to becoming a reality. You thought back to that night and the love you felt for Tom had since tripled and the love for your daughter couldn't have a value put on it.

You had Tess sitting across your legs on the couch as Tom went out with Harrison and the twins for "one last boys night" since they knew Tom was about to be wrapped around his girls' fingers. You didn't mind though. You wanted him to get out of his own head and have some fun instead of worrying about you and your little hummingbird. Tom's voice popped into your head, when he asked you if he was going to be a dad, and you felt Charlotte kick just as Tom's surprised face filled your thoughts.

The door flung open to reveal him, hair disheveled from the long flight, but still looking like a dream to you. He stood in the doorway for a moment, taking in the room and you.

"Hello, darling," he said before dropping his bags and pulling you into him for the first time in two months. Your arms wrapped around his neck as you took in his scent. His arms held your waist and his thumbs rubbed against your covered skin.

You sat at the dinner table and the nerves and the huge secret you were suppressing started bubbling to the surface.

"Darling, are you sure you're okay? You seem like you're on another planet." He joked, trying to earn a smile from you.

"I am, I promise. I just have something on my mind," he looked at you questioningly with his brows furrowed, "but before I tell you, I want you to open this." You pulled out a brown box from under the table that had a darker brown bow tie across the top.

"Love, what's this?" He asked, his voice higher-pitched with excitement. "For Tom, Love Tessa and Y/N" he smiled as he read the tag aloud. He pulled open the box, pulling out a little blue onesie that read "My Dad is SpiderMan so that makes me SpiderBaby". His eyes went wide, already figuring out what it meant. "Wait, you're...?" He couldn't even finish the sentence, his mouth agape. You nodded slowly, trying to assess his reaction.

"I am. What do you think about that?" You ask, trying to get more out of him that a gasp.

"I'm going to be a dad?"

That night was the night both of your lives changed forever.

Your thoughts came back to the present and presently, you had to pee. You nudged your legs a little so Tess could move and you could spend five minutes trying to stand up from the couch without hurting yourself. You held your back as the other arm pushed against the back of the couch and you finally made it to your feet, wobbling a bit. You waddled down the hall into your bedroom and straight to the bathroom and went to pull down your leggings and underwear when you felt it.

A subtle stream of wet was making its way down your thighs and soaked your panties. You scoffed, thinking that you just peed yourself before being able to sit down on the toilet, but as you sat down anyway, you felt something strange. A strong pressure, that felt like it was pushing down to your bum.

"What in the world?" you asked yourself as you stood up and pushed your pants to the floor. The feeling subsided after a couple seconds and you just assumed it was braxton hicks. As you made your way into the bedroom to find some more pants, it happened again, exactly 5 minutes later.

Once is a coincidence, two is not. That's when your eyes went wide and you realized your water had just broke and you were in the early stages of labor.

"Oh shit," you gasped as the seemingly subtle pressure started to mutate into a dull pain that lasted for about a minute. You pulled on another pair of pants and calmly waddled into the living room to find your phone and call Tom.

"Hello?" you heard on the other line, the music of the pub overshadowing his voice slightly.

"Babe? I need you to come home. My water just broke," you say, as calmly as possible.

You could almost hear Tom's heart stop on the other line, before a delayed "WHAT" pierced your ears.

"Don't panic, just come home," you say, but Tom is definitely panicking.

"I'm thirty minutes away!" he said to you between yelling at the boys that they have to go and breathing rapidly.

"Okay, I'll call your mum. Relax, babe, we're okay," you reassure him, before hanging up and calling Nikki.

She was at the apartment in minutes with Paddy who came up the stairs to grab your hospital bags for you. Nikki helped you down to the car, trying her hardest to keep your breathing in order as the dull pain continued.

"How many contractions have you had?" she asked as she climbed in the driver side of the car.

"About nine. They're a little under 5 minutes apart and last for about a minute," you reply, looking at your phone where you had started keeping track with the stopwatch app.

"Okay, good. Just keep breathing," Nikki smiled reassuringly as she sped off to the hospital. Luckily, the hospital was only four miles from the apartment, so you got there in under ten minutes. You had two more contractions in the car, and the were getting stronger and now felt like amplified menstrual cramps. You could feel your body contract and you were already finding it harder to breathe through them.

Nikki helped you out of the car and Paddy followed with the bags as you entered through the emergency room exit.

"Excuse me, my daughter is in labor," Nikki said to the receptionist, making you smile at the daughter comment. Two male nurses approached with a wheel chair and ushered you into the seat just as another contraction hit. You started breathing deeply and clutched your stomach as Nikki bent down to coach you through it.

"Okay, deep breaths. You got it. You're okay, it's almost over." she cooed, rubbing your back as the contraction came to an end. The nurses waited until the contraction was over to wheel you to the labor and delivery floor. Nikki told Paddy to wait for Tom and followed you up there.

After being stripped and put into a gown and prodded with IVs and wires, you were finally able to focus on your breathing techniques. Nikki was sitting in a chair by the window, watching the EFM to see when your next contraction would be. They were about four minutes apart now and definitely getting stronger each time.

"Okay, here comes a contraction," Nikki said, moving so that you could grab her hand as the contraction passed.

You took in some deep breaths as your body contracted, making you groan slightly when the contraction hit its peak.

"Okay, good, its coming down now," she said quietly, pushing some of your hair from your forehead as the contraction released its hold on you.

Just as that one ended, the door opened, revealing a disheveled looking Tom. His hair was a mess, like he'd been running his hands through it constantly and the second he walked into the room, his eyes were on you.

"Hey, babe," you smiled, putting your hands out so he could come up and hug you. He bent down and engulfed your upper half tightly, nuzzling his head into your neck.

"You okay?" he asked, pulling away so he could take in your body.

"We're okay," you responded, making Tom's lips curve into a smile.